1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have uploaded a picture of the fender tag and specified the VIN along with the specifications to the aforementioned URL. Thanks for the inquiry.

Very nice looking car.. "95% original condition", "unmolested"...

· Rajay Series "E" Turbocharger (custom installation - NOT A KIT!)
· 10.5 lbs boost (fixed) w/ water injection after 6 lbs of boost
· 1/4 Mile in mid 13's (Street Legal w/o police hassles)

I'm not trying to take this car apart or knock off on it but...$35k is to expensive.

A '70 Challenger T/A sold on Moparts last month for less money and it was really nice.
I do wish you all the luck with selling it though.

Out of curiousity, what is the expected asking price for a car like this considering its condition and low mileage? Last I checked, NADA values the car at $35k. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Out of curiousity, what is the expected asking price for a car like this considering its condition and low mileage? Last I checked, NADA values the car at $35k. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm not an expert but none of these cars are bringing max value. I have been looking at average values on these lately. The value does drop off after '71. I do like the '72 -74 cars but that is fact when looking at values.

All '72-74 E bodies were small block cars from the factory. The most desirable of these would be the Challenger Rallye that came with the 340 engine. A '74 would be the 360 as the performance engine. The 318 cars are a bit less desirable. I personally enjoy them all no matter what engine..

Average pricing or what they have sold for recently? I have seen decent cars to really nice cars bringing upwards of $20k. There is a '73 listed locally with a 318 for $20k. Done car with fresh paint and interior. I feel it is in line with today's soft economy.

You can always put $25k on it and see what offers you get. I think if you get between $15 and $22k, that you should take it and run. Check Ebay for completed auctions and that can always help as well.

The turbo install can help or hurt the sale depending on who is intrested in it.
Again, I wish you the best of luck with the sale. No rules are set in stone because again, it is worth what somebody is willing to pay!

Unfortunately, NADA and real world prices are not the same. I would say $15K to maybe $20K on a good day.

Welcome............

sorry, I thought this was the Welcome forum :-?

welcome to the site , sorry about any negative comments posted , we have a large dept of critics . Any negative comments should be kept unposted as everyones opinion will vary and also goes against the rules. The nada guide is really a rough sketch of a priceline & seldom follows the market accurately . Selling a car on here after a couple of posts usually doesnt get met with open arms . The Challenger your selling is a very nice car with some neat options & considering the low original miles even with the turbo added its still very desirable . However people are still crying doom & gloom market wise & its really a buyers market now . There was a low mileage 71 challenger recently on here that had zero mods on it & went for 15k & was just as clean . You may be lucky to get 18-22k depending on the buyer . The 72 is very nice but unfortunately doesnt retain the collectability factor as its 70-71 models . Good luck with the sale though.

Ahhhh, vintage Teac cassette player with Jensen 6X9 coaxials brings back the sounds of the 70s cruising in my red 1964 Dodge Polara 500.

Anyway, 3 years ago, I missed out on a 1972 Challenger with a 318 and the same color and scheme like this one. All original but needed some tlc. It went for $5,000. That was when prices on muscle cars were falling fast.

Nice looking car. Good luck.

HemiMark, DFX 340 Duster, and oldcarnut - thanks for the feedback!

you should consider cleaning and detailing the engine bay and the hood hinges. honestly, it looks rough. i mean this in the nicest of ways. if i were to spend 35 thousand bucks on this 318 car, i surely wouldnt want to have to clean up grease.
just trying to help
GLWTS

you should consider cleaning and detailing the engine bay and the hood hinges. honestly, it looks rough. i mean this in the nicest of ways. if i were to spend 35 thousand bucks on this 318 car, i surely wouldnt want to have to clean up grease.
just trying to help
GLWTS

Thanks for the advice. I had planned on doing so and then was advised not to, reason being potential buyers prefer to see things in original condition??? What you see is actually Ziebart rust proofing from 1972. I can certainly clean and detail things if it will help. Thanks again.

Definitely unique-so it's a turbo 318 with a Rochester 2bbl? I believe I'd be way too tempted to mess with that ;) GLWS

Definitely unique-so it's a turbo 318 with a Rochester 2bbl? I believe I'd be way too tempted to mess with that ;) GLWS

Yep, it's a 318 with a Rochester 2-Bbl and custom turbo. The car is an absolute rocket. 325HP+ at the WHEELS (even with original pistons, cam, etc.)! The turbo was designed and installed by Chuck Wright, an automotive engineer, of ProCar (http://www.procarassociates.com/) back in 1974. I actually called him last week and he distinctly remembers even the tiniest of details regarding the car. He started spouting off specifics on the car - amazing considering he last saw it 38 years ago - before reminiscing about how everyone wanted to know what was the under the hood (everyone thought it was a Hemi because it was so fast, yet appeared so un-assuming). Thanks for having a look!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back