194.5 KB · Views: 333
  • shrunk 1974 dart engine.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 349
  • New Dash.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_1474.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 350
Howdy, from a '74 Dart Sport owner.
I think the bigger question is what "parts" are you needing? Many mechanical parts are still readily available at most auto parts stores. Sheet metal, body parts, interior, and suspension components are frequently offered for sale here. Let's hear what you have in mind.

The begining of the list is just basic and I know where I can get them.
I need an easy way to find an oil leak. I think that it is leaking from the manifold gasket. It is not a major leak but I need to plug it. I know that I need to replace the dash. I also need to either replace the carb or rebuild the one that I have. Is it hard to switch from a 2 to a 4 barrel? I bought the car two days ago I haven't got an entire list yet.

So is it bad that I am such a newbie to this that I want to take my car to a mechanic to get a free estimate on whats wrong with it. Does that make me a cheater? I don't have the knowledge to diagnose problems. I am working opn getting to know the car but I am starting from ground zero and learning as fast as possible. Any advice on what I should do?

Obsolutely not. Don't feel bad for wanting to make your car better. Sometimes it is hard to help diagnose a problem from behind a computer screen, especially an oil leak. As far as finding the leak. I would start with getting some really good degreaser/oven cleaner and spray down the engine really good and let it soak. After it soaks for a while pressure wash it off. Then you will have a nice clean engine to work with and the location of the leak will be easy to spot. The place I would check first is the valve covers. They are more prone to leaking then anything else I think. Check and see if the bolts are tight as well but don't crank them down to tight.. For sheet metal there are thousands of cars out there being parted I bet with the exact parts you need. Go to the parts wanted section and make a thread. Someone will have what you need for a very good price I ma sure.

I can see where the leak is coming from on the manifold. Its the only place that there is free standing oil on the engine. It is coming from one of the bolts on the manifold. It sucks but that is what is going on. :banghead:

I found out that the gas gauge is messed up. I tried to put fuel in it today and it said that it was empty but only took six gallons.:violent1:

I have decided to keep the 2 barrel carburrator. I am not going to race the car and I don't want to pour that much fuel into the engine from the carb.:-|

Welcome to the site!

The best advice I can give you is to take your time with the car and don't rush. First and foremost, make sure the car is safe. Start with the brakes. Don't worry about an oil leak until you are sure the car is SAFE.
You can check the oil and add when low. Are the tires good? I don't just mean tread, but are they old, do they have any small cracks?
Also, get the car running well as it is now, only then start changing things like adding a 4 bbl.
Get a factory service manual and parts book. Join a local car club.
Keep notes of what you need and want. Most of all, HAVE FUN!

Welcome to the site!

The best advice I can give you is to take your time with the car and don't rush. First and foremost, make sure the car is safe. Start with the brakes. Don't worry about an oil leak until you are sure the car is SAFE.
You can check the oil and add when low. Are the tires good? I don't just mean tread, but are they old, do they have any small cracks?
Also, get the car running well as it is now, only then start changing things like adding a 4 bbl.
Get a factory service manual and parts book. Join a local car club.
Keep notes of what you need and want. Most of all, HAVE FUN!

That's good sound advise right there.

Thank you for the advice and I will take all that I can get.

The brakes were recently changed.

The tires are about 6 monthes opld and I have throughly checked them.

I am joining a car club within the next month.

I ordered the haynes manual for my car and I am just waiting for it to get here.

I will take all the advicethat you guys can give me.

This site is very good for parts. I looked for some parts on craigslist and I actually met a pretty cool collision shop owner has been able to get me parts for my Duster at reasonable prices. Everyone here is very resourceful. I am quite the newb myself and this is the first restoration I am working on. I am also planning on changing my 2barrel to a 4barrel. I am using a Edlebrock Intake Manifold 3776 and a 1405 Carburetor.

I this site has helped me learn so much. I have not been able to put any of it into action yet. This is going to have to be a weekend project. I am very grateful for all the help that everyone has been.:cheers:

I can see where the leak is coming from on the manifold. Its the only place that there is free standing oil on the engine. It is coming from one of the bolts on the manifold. It sucks but that is what is going on. :banghead:

I found out that the gas gauge is messed up. I tried to put fuel in it today and it said that it was empty but only took six gallons.:violent1:

I have decided to keep the 2 barrel carburrator. I am not going to race the car and I don't want to pour that much fuel into the engine from the carb.:-|

you could pull the intake manifold bolt put a dab of rtv on the bolt and torque it back to specs.

There is a ground that attaches to the gas tank or sending unit and if it comes off the gauge reads empty all the time if i recall.

Just buy a rebuild kit and try rebuilding that old 2 barrel for now. DON'T drop anything down the intake.

I removed the old exhaust manifolds and replaced them with headers and a new exhaust. I like the sound and the increased performance that I am getting out of my Dart.

I am rebuilding the carburetor this weekend. I decided to not go with the 4 barrel conversion. If I ever change my mind I am going to replace the manifold first.

Thanks Sir Dan for the advice I appreciate it. After putting the car on a lift I checked the ground and it was still attached. I am going to get back under it this weekend and see what I can do.

Fixed the oil leak by replacing the valve gaskets.

Sounds as if you are off to a good start man! FABO is chock full of helpful information and helpful people. Never hesitate to ask if you need help..just make sure you show your appreciation! Solid looking Swinger!

I found out why my engine was stalling out. I replaced the air filter and it still didn't work. Pulled the intake off and found out it was clogged with I don't know what to call it "GUNK". I am replacing the entire intake anyways so no big deal. I am taking care of the body work this weekend. I should have her painted and all most done in about a month. The rest of the parts I want to change out will be a slow process. I don't mind she is my baby....

Well its been awhile since I have updated this post. I have since changed the intake manifold over to a holly street dominator. I also changed out the carb for a holly 600 cfm electrice choke. I just got her timed and she is running like a champ. Will post pictures later.

This is the son replacing the headlight switch and taking the intake manifold off. He did all the work and I was able to just direct him on how to do it. It was a lot of fun watching the younger generation enjoying mopars the way I do.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 124
  • photo 3.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 136
  • photo 2.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 128
  • photo 1.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 138
  • photo.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 121
  • photo 5.JPG