1975 Dodge Truck I own (Thinking of making a hot rod)

-

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

All this time I have been thinking of my next Mopar weather it be an A, B, E or and C body. My search has led me to finding some really neat cars and some with very rare options. I really love the 1971 Chrysler 300 sunroof car that I found, just not the price tag. The car is not that far out of reach but right now it is.

I think also in my search I have talked with myself (scary idea but at times the voices have good points) about what I really want to do. Do I want a car to take only to shows and it to be a show queen or not? I have been down that road a few times and I really want whatever I buy to enjoy it and drive it like it was meant to be.

I have also been wanting something that I can mod it and make it my own. I still want that numbers matching 1971 Roadrunner and I may still yet buy that after I’m done with school and have the funds to do so. I really do not want to take an original car and mod it.

So with all that said I have put off my search because I had or have a 1975 Dodge step side truck that has been around for a while. My dad got the truck to use on our farm (just small jobs and picking up things never used hard) that is an old forestry truck.

The truck came with a slant six and three on the tree. The bed was originally a wood floored bed. I know it has just a peace of sheet metal or plywood over it as of right now. The truck was also originally green with green bench seat and no options to it.

I always told my dad if it was never not being used for the farm that I would like to do something with it. My idea back in the day was to put a big block in it but I have opened up to the idea of a 340, 360, 400, 440 and a 426 Hemi. I would love to drop a Hemi in it but I know my budget would not be there. I would also like to maybe go four or six speed but I may go to an auto.

The color choices I have had in my head was as follows-

Black body and red bench seat, red carpet and a mix of red and black dash parts. I would not put a headliner in it.

Silver body with a red bench seat and a mix of red and black throughout.

I also love the green color that was used on the 69 ½ M code cars. I thought even if I did that of maybe putting red interior in the truck still. What do you guys think of that color mix?

The hood of the truck I had wanted to put either a Max Wedge style hood scoop on it or a Ram Charger style hood. I would build the hood air scoop.

The exhaust I would want to run some kind of system that I could (got this from a GTO) pull or push a button and run it open headers. I just like that idea and if it gives more horse power that is a plus.

The wheels I have no clue as to what would look really good on it. I’m a big fan of dog dish caps but not sure it would look good on the truck.

So that is all the planning I have done because I really didn’t think I would ever do it. I don’t know if I can put a big block in it without changing the K frame out. I would like to drop it down and lower it some but not 100% sure on how to do that. I’m also not sure if I would go back chrome grill and headlight buckets I was thinking painted body color. What do you think?

So give me some ideas and what you would like it if was your truck. I will be making my own dash cluster. I want something very classy looking and just stand out.

Thanks everyone and I hope to have some pictures soon. The truck is sitting at my grandmothers and that is about two hours away from me.

I've been bit by the 2wd d100 bug. Been looking. Lot's of longbed's and 4x4's, but no short box or stepside's.

Waiting for one to come along that's been tastefully lowered with a 360/Auto combo. I don't really feel like dedicating true build time for what I want.

GO FOR IT

I've been bit by the 2wd d100 bug. Been looking. Lot's of longbed's and 4x4's, but no short box or stepside's.

Waiting for one to come along that's been tastefully lowered with a 360/Auto combo. I don't really feel like dedicating true build time for what I want.

GO FOR IT

Yeah I like the body style and I saw one in a Mopar mag years ago that had the front part of the roof chopped and lowered it gave it kind of a rake. I really liked it, but its something I wont be doing I dont think.

Yeah I would like a 360 or bigger motor in it. I have even thought maybe a modern Hemi in it.

I know I wont have it at my house until at least spring time. Its two hours from me but I'm hoping to get some family to take pictures of it.

I need to figure out how to lower it. I think someone said on the B body site use van springs. I really don't want airbags.

The tail gate is another area I like to do something different. I was wanting something besides the chains to lower it. I may also move the tail lights to the gate itself.

I have lots of ideas just not sure I will get them done. Yeah I have not seen many shortbox or step sides more long beds and 4x4s.

good idea,could be a cool ride,i have a 75 d 100 fleetside longbed.got it for 300.00 from a guy on his way to prison.it's tan original paint,318,727,355 sure grip,cop wheels and caps.my boy wants it.wants to paint it black with calif. kid type flames......oh anddrop itabout 4 inches all around:burnout:

good idea,could be a cool ride,i have a 75 d 100 fleetside longbed.got it for 300.00 from a guy on his way to prison.it's tan original paint,318,727,355 sure grip,cop wheels and caps.my boy wants it.wants to paint it black with calif. kid type flames......oh anddrop itabout 4 inches all around:burnout:
That sounds like a good deal and it sounds like your son is eyeing it. Sounds like he has some good plans too.

What is his idea on droping it 4 inches?

That sounds like a good deal and it sounds like your son is eyeing it. Sounds like he has some good plans too.

What is his idea on droping it 4 inches?
having me doit,he's ten years old,he did come up with all the ideas though, prob. cut front springs and get the rears rearched to make it ride lower

D-100's just beg attention.
Here is a pic of a 6cy 3 on the tree I used to own.
I lowered the front 2 more inches after the pic was taken.

truck52006.jpg

I would go 440 4 speed. I had a stock '73 440 out of a wagon in my '73 'Cuda that hauled ***. All you would need is a truck pan and mounts, 11" bellhousing and a 4 speed. I am sure there are many small parts involved too but way easier than dealing with a non stock 6 speed. There is a short box /6 O/D 4 speed truck near me for $1,500 and that I may do that to.

This is a 77 Warlock factory 440 2wd lowered, I had in the early to mid 90's. It was a blast to own and have a soft spot for 72-80 Dodge trucks. I did put the 1980 front end on it because the dual quad headlamps are the best. I would like to find a 69-71 shortbox 2wd to fix up some day.

Attachments

• 77 dodge.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 287
Here is the D100 I had and sold in 2007. I bought this truck this way with a 318 stroker/727

Wow some great looking trucks guys. I would really like to do something fun with this truck and enjoy it. Either way I have to wait till summer and I'm out of school and back to work.

Keep the pics coming and ideas those trucks look really good. Yeah I like the front ends of the early trucks they just look mean.

-
Back