1985 ramcharger engine change

-

fmcgraugh2

Reaction score
okay this will be kind of a long one. I have a 85 ramcharger that had a 318 with a A999 trans. Im replacing the 318 with a 360. im placing a a voodoo 60711 cam shaft, aero head brand heads, summit brand headers. I have 294 gears with a 8.25 ring gear. I need to know where to set the cam timing as it will be a daily driver but i was some torque and power. Any one please help me out this is my first engine rebuild and first mopar

somewhere at about 255 to 265 advertised duration would be good I think. maybe around .460 lift. {just my first guess}

somewhere at about 255 to 265 advertised duration would be good I think. maybe around .460 lift. {just my first guess}
umm maybe i asked the wrong question. with the cam card you can set the cam timing say 2, or 4 degress either advanced or retarded depending what you want the engine to do correct? and if so where should i set mine at?

umm maybe i asked the wrong question. with the cam card you can set the cam timing say 2, or 4 degress either advanced or retarded depending what you want the engine to do correct? and if so where should i set mine at?

ok, sorry. Its probably already got 4 degree of built in advance. (as do most)
so, I'd say another more 2 degrees would be the max for advancing it. I would not retard it any and in the remcharger application, another 2 degrees might help due to the weight of the vehicle. (more low end power due to the intake closing happening sooner)

Install that cam at the recommended ICL of 106. It already has 6 degrees of advance built in, there's really no point in going any further than that and Lunati knows what they're doing in regards to grinding cams. If you go 8 or 10 degrees advanced, you may run into intake valve to piston clearance problems and start killing power.

You should be running 3.55 gears on that truck too, especially if you plan on putting larger tires on it. The reason is that in cruise, you'll be below the intended power band and you'll hurt your mileage as well felt power plus it'll be doggy of the line. That cam is good to 5500 rpm and you really don't need a 140 mph top speed in a RC. If you don't want to change your gearing, you'll need to pick a smaller cam.

All that being said, that's a great cam (I'm running a very similiar cam, the flat tappet version in my RC) and the power and idle is outstanding but it really comes on the cam at about 2200-2500 rpm. I would also recommend bumping your compression to 9:1.

Post the video, Joe.

Wylde1.

Done! :) You can actually hear the engine change in timbre as soon as I pass the first yellow sign, that at about 2300 rpm IIRC. It was floored from the get -go. You can hear the accelerator pedal squeak when I wood it, lol.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA4AdsTlMto"]YouTube- 6th Ave Blast[/ame]

personally I have had much better luck going the other way; 360>318....... and currently have a 318 truck and a 360 truck; the 318 in my 83 3/4 ton runs circles around my kid's 360 RC and MUCH cheaper on fuel, as well. I have been wanting to build up a 360 for a while now; this may be "that" 360; the 1st thing to go to scrap? the damn dished pistons, that they castrated all factory 360s with........

Install that cam at the recommended ICL of 106. It already has 6 degrees of advance built in, there's really no point in going any further than that and Lunati knows what they're doing in regards to grinding cams. If you go 8 or 10 degrees advanced, you may run into intake valve to piston clearance problems and start killing power.

You should be running 3.55 gears on that truck too, especially if you plan on putting larger tires on it. The reason is that in cruise, you'll be below the intended power band and you'll hurt your mileage as well felt power plus it'll be doggy of the line. That cam is good to 5500 rpm and you really don't need a 140 mph top speed in a RC. If you don't want to change your gearing, you'll need to pick a smaller cam.

All that being said, that's a great cam (I'm running a very similiar cam, the flat tappet version in my RC) and the power and idle is outstanding but it really comes on the cam at about 2200-2500 rpm. I would also recommend bumping your compression to 9:1.
I do plan on switching to 3.55 gears but in the short future i didnt plan on changing tire size ill be running P275/60R15. next year i plan on doing a full all out tilt rebuild but for now im on a tight budget so new oil pump timing chain new heads and eddy performer intake and 600 cfm carb hopefully will do me for a year or so.

-
Back