300 Hp crate motor upgrades

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
I have a 300 hp magnum crate motor It needs some serious upgrades I'm thinking I know It needs a cam change maybe intake. I don't want to pull heads yet, wondering how much cam I can get away with. Its not a drag motor just street and some autox so I need something that can pull hard off idle and mid range it will use street gears with a 4 speed.

call hughes engines,they will have what you need.i had the same engine,put in a her1828 cam with 1110 springs,added a rpm airgap,and it ran a whole lot better.

They were trying to talk me into a much smaller cam, what centerline is it and what gears do you run.

Can you save us from research? Compression? Current cam and intake? I don't have that stuff memorized.

I have a 300 hp magnum crate motor It needs some serious upgrades I'm thinking I know It needs a cam change maybe intake. I don't want to pull heads yet, wondering how much cam I can get away with. Its not a drag motor just street and some autox so I need something that can pull hard off idle and mid range it will use street gears with a 4 speed.

First thing, your cam choice is limited by your valve springs. You will have to stick to a cam under .475" lift with your springs unless they have been upgraded. We have a cam for stock springs but its only .450" lift. If you upgrade springs to our stage II kit, you can run up to .540" without any other mods, anything past that and you wil have to cut guides and install new seals.

To give you any cam advise, I would need to know carb or FI, intake, gear ratio, tire size, and weight of vehicle. We have custom grinds for stock springs or stiffer springs.

-
Back