318 (High pitched squeal)

-

LJS30

Reaction score
Today on our way home from church my engine started to give a high pitched squeal that would go away upon acceleration but come right back when I let off the throttle. I figured it was perhaps a vacuum leak but cannot find any lines that could be at fault. This is very odd and has me stumped. See if you guys can give me some input by listening to the video below.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dLzI1e7M2E"]‪VID 00022 20110717 1356‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Spray some penetratin oil on those belts. I bet it goes away.

Well that didn't work Stroker. It's a consistent high pitched squeal to go along with my engine running very rough at idle. Once I hit the accelerator it's okay but comes right back once I let off. What is the deal with this thing? None of my vacuum lines are bad.

sounds like it could be the bearing, take the drive belt off. see if it continues

Take some WD-40 and spray some in the alternator around where the bearings are see if the sound stops or the pitch changes, do the same thing around the A/C. Do each one separately so if it does change you know which one it is.

Man do I feel like a real tool. It was a missing plug on my brake booster that somehow came off. Amazing what one little thing can do to the performance of your motor.

-
Back