318 Idling fine then started clattering....

-

servicegroup

Reaction score
75 Duster 318, Started up today and ran fine and idled for 15 minutes or so. It finally died. When I started it again, I heard a pretty loud clattering...

Thought it was sloppy push rods, that wasnt the case.

Pulled the valve covers off and it seem like its coming from below?

Any Ideas?

What the heck do I do know?

When is the last time you changed the oil?
I've had dirty oil cause lifters to stick?

sounds like it lost oil pressure
do you have an oil pressure gauge?
do you have an idiot light?

I would get a manual gauge on it and find out if it has pressure first

sounds like it lost oil pressure
do you have an oil pressure gauge?
do you have an idiot light?

I would get a manual gauge on it and find out if it has pressure first

If got a mechanical oil gauge on it ..

40 on start up (its below freezing here)

Sits around 30 at idle

I just did the Intake and replace the push rods while I was there...

Its been at an idle now for almost 30 min and sounds and is running fine.

I cleaned the intake the best i could with air, It had been sitting in a guys garage and was full of spider sacks....

Maybe its just needed time to work it all out.. I just didnt think it the intake would expliain a clattering noise....

I think im gonna go tighten down the VC and take her for a spin

30 psi hot is pretty good. I did have a 318 that dumped 3 lifters at the same time and made a hell of a racket but I still had good oil pressure. I switched all the lifters and it lived a long healthy life. its pretty rare you lose more than one lifter at the same time, but it can happen.
sometimes it takes a minute to get really cold oil circulating and for the lifters to pump up, especially if its 40 or 50 wt. I like to use 30 weight in the winters here in CO

I just found about half my tool box under the car. 8-[8-[

Wouldn't it be something if what i heard.... ahhh... I mean i was missing that wrench ...

:violent1:

I'll take her out for a spin after i get the VC tightened up and we will see.

Might have killed the lifters last go around with all the bent pushrods. You should follow up on the other thread so people trying to help have all the info.

Might have killed the lifters last go around with all the bent pushrods. You should follow up on the other thread so people trying to help have all the info.

Yeah George, Sorry I wasnt trying to have multiple threads... I just noticed it sounded like something different that the push rods themselves... How do i kill this thread and migrate it back the the Original thread...

I'd just post your findings back on the other thread. this one will drop down

-
Back