318 trouble -- rainy day project -- questions

-

n66

Reaction score
Hello Folks.

Took my 318 apart today thinking I would clean it up, put new gaskets and seals in and pull the heads and send them for a rebuild. Found some water in a couple of the cylinders and enough rust on the cylinder walls that they'll require something more than cleaning. Kept going and pulled the oil pan to find a previous owner sheared one of the cap bolts off.

So, I'm feeling like I should have a better motor strategy now. :eek:ops:

The intent of the motor was to go into my 66 barracuda road race project. I had been working from the FIA spec I borrowed from Starfish racing site (thanks guys if you are on here someplace) to try and keep it close to what they ran in the 66 trans am races (minus whatever super secret race mods they did back then).

Now I'm wondering if I should rebuild it completely with new stock or do something different entirely. Does anyone have enough experience with the vintage road race groups to know if I built out a 340 instead of a 318 if the scrutineers would still let me race?

If that seems like too much what about building a 318 stroker motor, I can't imagine they'll be tearing my motor down if I'm not racing for money/championships/prestige....

Before I go spending a bunch of money figured I would solicit you good folks. I usually get at least one better idea than I had when I started the thread :cheers:

Thanks folks.

--Neil

-
Back