318 Valve Train Rebuild

-

Numax

1972 dart swinger
Reaction score
After discussion on my previous thread about what parts I have I've decided to completely rebuild the valve train in my 318. The purpose of this thread is not only to follow along as I rebuild this motor but ask questions that I cannot find the answer to. But to start with I need some help planning what will go into this. I have read quite a bit about all the parts in the valve train but putting it all together is the hard part so without anymore blabing here is what I'm working with..

*These measurements will not be perfect, I used digital calipers but its a place to start*

Parts I Have

• Intake Manifold: Edelbrock Performer 318/360
    - Port: 1.95" X 1"
  • 360 Heads:Intake Port 2.2" X 0.95" / Exhaust Port 1.59" X 1"
    -Valves: Intake Diameter 1.878" / Exhaust Diameter 1.632"
  • Original Heads:I have not measured the original heads but the ports are much smaller than the other heads, they do have the X casting though
  • Pistons: All original measured about 3.9" (They have not been removed and I don't plan on taking out anything from the bottom end)
  • Cam: Mopar Purple cam bought around 25 years ago I'm fairly certain its a 508/508
  • Original lifters and pushrods, All the original rockers and spings for both head sets are still on them

Parts I Need

• Cam
  • Lifters (Preferably Hydraulic)
  • Adjustable Roller Rockers
  • Pushrods
  • Conical or Beehive Valve springs and caps

Goals
I want a mild cam with short duration and a high rocker ratio. High hp is nice but it will be a street car so I want the power curve as low in the rpm range as I can get it without sacrificing to much power above 5k. I'm open to porting if need be but bear in mind it would be myself doing it with no previous experience. All in all I'm building a street monster that I'll have to buy more tires for than gas but still be able to put some 10 inch tread on and have fun on the strip, nothing competitive.

Easy Right? haha thanks for the help everyone!

-
Back