340 dart shifter help needed!

-

alaskamax1

Reaction score
Ok so I just purchased a 1972 dart swinger with a 340 4 speed. The first drive after purchase had me under the car at a gas station trying to un bind the linkage as the car was stuck in we 2nd gear. the 2nd trip did exactly the same thing except the rod had come off the shifter mechanism. I limped the car to my buddies shop and we reattached the arm and unbound the shifter.we started looking and where the linkage attaches to the transmission, the paddles were loose and we're barely grabbing the notches on the tranny. I looked at tightening them down but the threads are warn out . What's the easiest , permanent fix To replace the threadson

If the threads are gone like you say you are gonna have to drop the side cover and replace these pieces. Make sure they have the correct fine thread nuts, and not rigged up with more than one lock washer. Give the shifter and rods a good look over. Tight bushings and spring clips on the rod ends are a must. Give the shifter a good adjustment, including stop bolts if your shifter has them and you should be good. Check with Brewers for parts.

340doc is right. A good place to get the parts is brewersperformance.com
I have dealt with them personally and they were great, as have many other people on the site.

-
Back