340 Overheating Help

-
Wow, took a mini-started to spin my 12-1 440.............. The reduction starter just went raw----raw----raw-----raw---------

Mini's are the way to go, he probably has a cable/battery issue, or just a funky starter.

...he probably has a cable/battery issue, or just a funky starter.
time for a new thread... :)
hey sportsuburbangt, glad it's ok. now, tuning or trouble shooting, get in the habit of only making ONE change at a time, otherwise you don't really know what affected what

just sharing info: a quote from the very first post in this thread

"The motor does not crank when it is hot, i have a mopar mini starter on it."

I cannot stand Mini Starters, to me they are all expensive junk!!! IF I was given one I would throw it away. cannot see burdening someone else with junk like that!! IF you at all can replace that mini starter with a full sized SHORT Mopar starter...chances are your car will start hot or cold, unless your headers touch the starter, THAT can be an issue

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but to me the only reason to keep the old boat anchor starter is to be factory correct or for that Chrysler sound.
Im sure the majority of people on this site recommend mini starters.
There's really no comparison in the starters, performance wise.
Not sure where you come up with "expensive" either. My last 2 cost me $20.00 each at the junkyard.

You either have a bad starter or to much timing.
What is your initial timing set at ?

just a heads up on the jaguar clutch, they don't lock up very tight when hot and they go bad quickly, i know your overheating problems are solved now but in the near future if they pop up don't overlook the fairly new clutch.

I would definetly check the timing maybe even upgrade to a D.U.I` you dont want it to be to advanced believe me I know how a mopar distributor that over advanced at higher RPM destroys pistons. I would use shell rotella 15/40 diesel oil for break in process than joe gibbs hot rod oil 20/50 after that.

just a heads up on the jaguar clutch, they don't lock up very tight when hot and they go bad quickly, i know your overheating problems are solved now but in the near future if they pop up don't overlook the fairly new clutch.

Interesting. How or where did you find this out ?

-
Back