340 Tail Logos

-

73Dart340Sport

73dart340
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I origionally got my car, it had white (vinyl) 340 logos on the tail end, one on wither side. The car is a 1973 340 Dart Sport. Since the origional paint was not restorable, it has new paint. I have new logos (or callouts or whatever you call them) however, I want them to be correctly placed. Is there any literature giving guidance as to exactly where they are mounted?

73 dart sports never had engine "callout" stripes. those type of stripes were for dusters. the dart sport had these type of stripes....these are all 73's

FH000014.jpg

1973 dart sport.jpg

73 dart sport.jpg

:hello2: I'm putting the '71-'72 Duster stripes on this one,just because I like em better. :toothy8:

DSCN0008 (Small).JPG

Actually, I got the car in 1976, and it had the 340 callouts then. Although I can't get my scanner to work, I have several pictures with the origional crappy blue paint, and the 340 white tail callouts. They sure did not appear then to be add-ons.

i hear ya 73Dart340Sport. don't get me wrong. i'm not trying to say your car didn't have them on it at one time. all i'm trying to say is it's not original equipment....

[QUOTE='73red-duster]Could have very easily been a dealer install.[/QUOTE]
dealer could have installed them this is true, but it would have been at a customers request since they were a plymouth decal....

Very interesting. The car also had a wing and one of those cheezy dodge dart scoops. Both looked like they had been professionally installed, which probabily meant "the dealer". The 340 logo lasted the life of the car, and again did appear to be origional(as crappy as the origional mopar finishes were). However, as I've found with mopars, nothing is "the law". I long ago lost the broadcast sheet and the origional registration. It would be interesting to find the origional owner.

Since I am restoring it to some faxcimilie of the way I found it, is there any guidance on who to apply those 340 logos without eyeballing the job?

7demon2 said:
dealer could have installed them this is true, but it would have been at a customers request since they were a plymouth decal....

Dealer's would do what it took back then to sell a car. Friend of mine bought a chevy p/u back in the 70's,but only after the dealer switched to a GMC grill. (His wife liked the jimmy grill better?) :scratch:

Well, 73 Dart Sports never had callouts FROM THE FACTORY and they were NOT a FACTORY option BUT someone could have added them including a dealership..the only 2 stripes were the over the roof and down the side ones and the full side stripes like mine. the tail pannel was not much in 73 just a bit of black between the taillights is all...i dont have a full on view but one of my pics shows a view to get a idea. the stripe for the tail is the same one that the Blue Dart Sport has in one of the pictures above(his is a MUCH better picture..ive got one but its like 276 KB and too big to post)

73Dart340Sport said:
Very interesting. The car also had a wing and one of those cheezy dodge dart scoops. Both looked like they had been professionally installed, which probabily meant "the dealer". The 340 logo lasted the life of the car, and again did appear to be origional(as crappy as the origional mopar finishes were). However, as I've found with mopars, nothing is "the law". I long ago lost the broadcast sheet and the origional registration. It would be interesting to find the origional owner.

Since I am restoring it to some faxcimilie of the way I found it, is there any guidance on who to apply those 340 logos without eyeballing the job?
not sure what you mean by cheesy dart scoops. the hood scoop i posted is the factory correct scoop for the 73 dart sport 340. the wing was also added. the wings on darts,dusters, and demons stopped in 1971.

73Dart340Sport said:
Very interesting. The car also had a wing and one of those cheezy dodge dart scoops.

Buy a stripe kit,(whatever style you want)it should come with instructions. By the way,I'm saving my pennies to put one of those "cheezy" scoops on my Duster. Already have one on my '73 Sport. Have a wing too,just can't decide which car to put it on. :burnout:

I tossed the wing, it didn't hold up to well to the years. Have thought of replacing it. The scoop I wish I still had, but alas it went with the origional hood to be replaced with fiberglass. Was the scoop factory, or dealer add on?

all of the scoops pictured on this thread are of the factory design. 1973 dart sport 340 could come with scoops. it was an option not standard. the hood had to have the "black out" stripes like the blue car above to have the scoop. again, it was an option not standard.

Very nice cars, by the way!!!!!

Interesting, because my hood did not have the blackout stripes, but it came with a scoop that looked to be OEM. I wish that I had kept the hood, but oh well, 20/20.

The srtipes were like the ones that I have on now(over the top) but they were black, not white. I know that the wing that I tossed in 1976 was not origional, but it looked once again to be installed by someone who had been concerned with appearance. Dealer?

How would I find the origional owner (if still alive?)

if you know what state the car came from you can do a title history search in the states dmv. if you don't know try your own states dmv, and do the same. this will give you all info on the titles and owners the car has had in the time it has been in the state. that is how i back tracked my history on my car.

This may work for some states but Washington will not give you the previous owners of a vehicle unless the previous owners were a business. I wish they would because it definetly can answer a lot of questions.

Did your hood have the two holes for the water baffels. If it did It was factory. As for the rear stripe 74 did have a grafic that said Dart Sport. 73 only had those lines at the rear.

-
Back