340 Water Pump questions, anyone using Flow Kooler?

-

WildCat

Reaction score
OK, I'm ready to change my water pump. Currently it is a AC pump and guess a 6 blade. The engine starts to warm up if idling and the temp just keeps going up, have not let it sit long enough to find out if it stops. But don't want to be out when it is hot outside and get caught in traffic and have to let it idle for very long as it is.

Went to Napa and bought a new water pump TFW 43026 P, it shows as a high flow 8 blade pump. After getting it I'm not real happy with the look and size of the blades

So in checking found at Summit a FLOW KOOLER, went to their web site and it sounds interesting

so is anyone using it on their small block?

What do you think?

Is the Edelbrock Victor worth the money?

any feed back is appreciated.

I know I've ask before about water pumps, but I'm doing it this week and looking to only change it one more time.

the flow-kooler is just a 6 blade with a disc on it to improve flow. You can do the same to your new pump. A way to maximize the standard pump is to press the "impeller" on further untill its just 0.005to0.010" from the pump housing. Be careful not to press the pulley mount on further as this will cause belt alignment problems. We did this with our oval track cars.

My parents put a flow kooler water pump on their 99 B1500 van with the 5.9 liter (360). My dad didn't think that it cooled any better than a standard water pump. That's the only experience I have with them.

It didn't make a difference wit my 340 Duster. Put a aluminum radiator in it ane be done with it.

ive got one on my 416 but have not run it yet was recomened by my machinist

If you're engine's runnin hot and it's gotta good stock pump on it, the problem is somewhere else. Jus sayin.

not much stock here

.040 340 with iron heads, MP ignition, chrome box

Be Cool Aluminum Radiator (was to be good for up to 650 hp)

Electric fan (guy that put brackets on rad. for fan didn't think a should would be good since it would be boxy

Stock style 6 blade AC water pump

I should have changed it when the engine was apart the last time but talked out of it. (only had 3,000 miles on it)

I feel that I have the wrong water pump. It cools OK when driving, even the few times the AC has been on.

I'm trying to get to so I can go to Somerset KY the end of the month for the Mopar cruise weekend.

Hope to hear back from Flow Kooler today

View attachment 340left.jpg

View attachment 340right.jpg

I would think a good stock pump should work well with that Be Cool. I put an 8 blade on my mostly stock 340 with non working a/c and stock radiator and it is working well...

Also, I might be heading to somernights at the end of the month as well. Somernights is a lot of fun...

Good Luck!

You definetely need a shroud !!!!
Air takes the path of the least resistance.
Without a shroud, usually the air at the ends of the fan blades will get pulled. And it does not go through the rad.
With a shroud covering the end of the blades, all air being pulled has to come through the shroud and that means it has to come through the rad.

That is why all the manufacturers put shrouds on all their cars.

well I ordered a flowkooler water pump.

It is a stock 8 blade with an anti cavatation plate and another 8 blades.

not much stock here

Nice lookin motor. What I'm sayin is, a stock pump will cool pretty much anything. The pump's job is not to cool anything. Nuthin. Nada. Zilch. It's only purpose is to move water. The coolin system is limited to the size holes in and out of the block in the timing cover area. Even if you get a pump that can out pump a stock unit, it still cannot flow any more water than the cooling passages will allow. There are folks runnin way more radical engines than yours on the street with stock pumps. The key is to have the cooling system right. Blocking off any openings in the radiator support, for example so that more air is directed through the radiator core is a good move. Make sure all of the hood seals are in place and intact. You might even think about some sort of air dam under the bumper to help direct some of the air going under the car through the radiator core. Same kinda things the factory did in later vehicles and still does today.

I run the flow kooler on my stroker engine with a recored stock three row radiator, reproduction fan shroud, 180 degree Mr Gasket high flow thermastat with three 1/8" holes drilled in it, and mopar performance viscous fan packaged. Even with 391 gears and the aluminum heads it runs nice and cool on those hot summer days.

just had the same situation as you with getting hot while ideling. installed the flowcooler pump in a 340/416 stroker just recently and it dropped my temps down roughly 8-10 degrees while driving and slightly while ideling. this was from an 8 blade pump that was already in it. fit well and looks o.e.m. pretty happy. just my 2 cents.

-
Back