360 Cutting Out

-

thedartsport

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been having some trouble with my car. It's a 72 Swinger, but that doesn't really matter. The problem is that when at WOT, the car begins to cut out and sputter right before shifting out of second. After it shifts it goes back to normal.

Here's the setup:
1978 360 block stock heads, pistons, and crank
284/.484 cam
double roller timing chain
Weiand Xcellerator SP intake
Edelbrock 750 carb
stock electronic ignition
904 with 2800 stall

It's a driver so it isn't a huge problem, but when I put it to the floor I'd like for it to respond. Any ideas? I'll try to answer questions the best I can.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

How's the top of 1st gear? Might be fuel, or lack of? Could also be valve springs going away? I assume this is happening with a good tune & timing set up correctly.....What are your shift points?

I was thinking fouled plugs because of that cam and carb and stock ignition, I would just throw plugs at it and go out and try it

Flat cam lobe???

attachment.php

1st thought: fuel starvation. To clarify: Always done it? recent problem? any mods preceding this issue? does it act up any other time other than when you described (right before shifting out of 2nd)? EDIT rotor phasing/rotor radial gap distance OK? unplug vac can & see if any change.

This costs nothing. Pull the fuel filter. Drain the gas out. Then, get a white paper towel and put on the ground. Tap the tank side of the filter on the paper tower. See if there's any crap that comes out. If there is, I recommend removing the tank draining and rinsing it thoroughly. If there's trash in the system, you will never get it out unless you start at the source.

It's got two fuel filters on it because I had no idea what was in the original lines, but it has a brand new tank. The second filter had caught bits of trash before, and I replaced the element. RustyRatRod I'll try what you said because I bet that the first filter could be full of trash if the second one got trash in it.

Rapid Robert, it was a gradual problem. It used to not have this problem before, but it just started happening recently which backs up the fuel filter issue.

crackedback I replaced that lifter and it hasn't given any trouble since then. Oil pressure is fine with no noise like before. It very well could be though.

Stock electronic ignition is not made for high rev's.

Replace the stock control box with a chrome one , then trouble shoot from there

That lifter, looking like that, likely rounded the cam lobe quite a bit.

GEO that's what I figured, but I didn't want to spend a ton of money (yet) if it's not the main problem. My dad had the same problem on his Challenger. He put on a new coil, distributor, etc. Didn't change a thing.

I had the exact same problem top of 2nd and 3rd, had a wire burn through on #5 on the header, had a boot over it but burned through eventually and did not miss until high rpm's. Good way to check is in the dark and rev it up, watch for sparks.

Attachments

• dart 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 117
Fuel is more than likely not the issue. RustyRatRod was right about the filter being full of trash so I just picked up a new one. Still had the same problem. I checked all the plug wires and I'm not seeing any damage. But when I pulled one of the plugs it was pretty nasty. I'm guessing a new set of plugs would be a good idea. Thanks to everyone who helped out. I'll update after the plugs are put in.

I feel stupid for not even checking. The spark plugs were the problem. Thanks everyone it runs great now.

What is the initial and total timing?

A 284 cam will probably like in the 20*+ range at idle. The carb will also probably need the lower rate step up springs.

-
Back