383 value?

-

show

Reaction score
I recently got a 383 in a trade that I am going to put into my scamp, the person who I got it from owed me some cash. He couldn't pay so he gave me the motor out of his older dodge truck said it has recently been rebuilt and bored.

The numbers on the block where D383-1023 R.

Looking it up looks like its a 1968 383 from Oct 23.

There was a tag on the drivers side that read
.60 Bore .10 Rod .10 Bearings

I did drive the truck before we pulled the motor and the thing ran like a raped ape, would smoke the duals off the back of the truck with no hesitation what so ever. Looks like a stock intake and has a quadrajet carburetor, I'll get the casting numbers from the intake and heads when I get a chance later. Over all it looks very clean, no oil seepage anywhere and clean paint.

Does anyone have a estimate on how much this motor would be worth. I think I came out ahead on the deal.

I just bought a complete 383 w/727 trans for $300 from a member...plus freight a month or so ago...but yours is running, so...like 73 said.

Depending on how many miles on that rebuild I would think $500 to $600...you couldn't come close to rebuilding one for that amount though.

Depends on the internals, and quality of the work. It ran strong, so it couldn't be too messed up. I assume the heads were at least freshened up with the build. A bored, fresh, good running engine is worth at least $1,500 to me. Try and build one. This one is proven too. Stock cast pistons and rings have to be 3-400$ for a 383 alone.

-
Back