400 motor parts

-
Once you get to the rebuld stage I woild suggest doing a 4.25" stroke 511" stroker with 440 source heads and a roller cam of your choice. Easily 600hp/600tq.

Besides the extra cubes is there any significant differences between the 499 and the 512 kit?

Hopefully it has more compression than most 400 I have measured.

That said, my 66 Coronet has a stock-ish 400 with a small cam, 2" headers and a performer. In comparison to my street/strip cars it is pokey. People that have ridden in the car have been impressed with it's acceleration so it cannot be that bad. I would ditch that intake for a dual plane, especially with an automatic. While it is a small single plane, my experience has been that they make hydraulic cammed street engines with tight converters and numerically low gears lazy below 3000 rpm or so. Kind of like the old .509 cam. It was horribly lazy down low when folks tossed it a street car. Put it in a 4-speed car with taller gears and it worked well. As said above planning out the combo will make for a fun car. As Mr. Porter says, it becomes a compromise between drivability and performance based on your preferences.

With a 4 mile commute I vote CNC ported stealth heads (value) and a .660ish net lift solid roller (performance). If you want a nasty exhaust note at idle make sure to tell the cam grinder. My 511 with a .680 lift roller [email protected] (looooong duration) sounds pretty tame compared to my 451 that had a comp 294h (.560lift, [email protected]).

That last part sounds nice.

I have no idea about the engine, the guy did fantastic work so I am sure it’s well put together. It’s just not exactly what I want and there is nothing wrong with that.

Besides the extra cubes is there any significant differences between the 499 and the 512 kit?

a 499 has a much shorter piston (1.120 compression height) vs. 511 has a 1.320" CH piston. I like the lightweight 499 (4.15" stroke, 4.375-4.380 bore, 6.760 rod) however the short piston bothers some folks. The 511" (4.25 stroke, 6.535 rod, 4.375-4.380 bore) adds a few cubes and theoretically will last longer. That last statement is highly debatable. If I was doing one I'd get a Molnar crank/rods from @PROSTOCKTOM and some Mahle pistons from summit. If you want to hit it with a little nitrous Mahle (mah-lah) sells a stainless steel, gas nitrided top ring for extra abuse.

1500 for cranks/rods and $850ish for pistons. At that point all you need for the short block is bearings, ATI balancer a cam and timing set. If you wanted to good all out (for a streeter) a set of Milodon or ARP main studs is good insurance. Add your 300+ cfm headsand you have an easy, streetable 600+hp. A whif of n20 and it can make 800+ without any exotic parts.

wow, see that’s fantastic information given, and I’m glad you chimed in. I was thinking 499 just because it sounded like I wouldn’t be pushing the limits of the block. But I’m no engine master, I can fill a cavity pretty or make a crown pretty well though…

I got SM main studs and SM head studs, Tony use to say they were the same as the ARP… plus they were only like 40 bucks lol. Nothing like spending a fortune on cars and then cutting costs on the bolts that hold it all together :rofl:

IMG_5659.jpeg

1500 for cranks/rods

You're a little short if you were pricing a Molnar crankshaft and rods. :D

The 6.760" Chevy journal rods are $690 with free shipping in the 48 States

4.15" stroke B Block Crankshaft is $997 with $96 for shipping.

Total cost is $1783

Thanks for thinking of me.

Tom

The last thing I would skimp on is main and rod bolts. In a true performance application, that's one area where I think you go for the best pretty much every time.

I'd generally go for the larger stroke. That's gonna yield more torque. It's not going to be the factor that limits RPM capabilities. That's gonna be valvetrain and breathing limited. I have a "one day" 400 sitting covered for a build. If that day comes it'll definitely be a 512.

Takes me 15 minutes to make a crown, another 15 to bake it. Easy peasy. The longest part is prepping the tooth, takes about 20isb minutes.

IMG_4153.jpeg

IMG_1333.jpeg

IMG_0319.jpeg

Easy for you. HARD for me to pay for. No one around here accepts Medicare advantage dental plans, so it's out of pocket. Gonna be a while.

Sorry man. I am one of the only providers around my area that accept Medicare advantage plans, it works out well for me because I have abundance of retired patients around. We have patients travel for 1.5 hours to come to my office, only other office around is Aspen dental and they are garbage.

Sorry man. I am one of the only providers around my area that accept Medicare advantage plans, it works out well for me because I have abundance of retired patients around. We have patients travel for 1.5 hours to come to my office, only other office around is Aspen dental and they are garbage.
Hay it ain't your fault. The dentist we used years ago and initially did the crown we jokingly call "Doc Hollywood" because his place looks like something in Los Angeles and all his staff are super fine lookin model types. ......and NOW not only do they not take anything associated with medicare, but they won't even take 95% of most regular insurance. They are working toward customer pay only. I have Care Credit, but of course, I have a ton on it right now because the past couple of years I've had to put some expensive vet visits on it. I'm just glad we have it, because the cats cannot take care of themselves when they get sick.

Hay it ain't your fault. The dentist we used years ago and initially did the crown we jokingly call "Doc Hollywood" because his place looks like something in Los Angeles and all his staff are super fine lookin model types. ......and NOW not only do they not take anything associated with medicare, but they won't even take 95% of most regular insurance. They are working toward customer pay only. I have Care Credit, but of course, I have a ton on it right now because the past couple of years I've had to put some expensive vet visits on it. I'm just glad we have it, because the cats cannot take care of themselves when they get sick.

Yeah out here a lot of the Drs keep building these massive offices and are going away from being in network with any insurances. Dental insurances really are trying hard to screw Drs and patients. We have to list our our appointment lengths to the minute to, the exact number of anesthetic, and so many other little bs things or insurance companies will deny the claim. Leaving the dentist with our dicks in our hands… because if we say anything to the pts half the time the pts get mad at us like it our fault the insurance company sucks.

I like my Medicare advantage pts, most of them are happy to have a dr who accepts their insurance, follows through with recommendations and show up to most appointments.

-
Back