440 application identification

-

Marksman

Reaction score
Hey everyone. After selling my w150 at a swap meet this weekend, I picked up a complete 440/727 for $200 and I'm trying to figure out what it came out of.

The block has a late 76 casting date with 77 emission stuff on the valve cover. It has a front sump pan which led me to believe it was out of a car, but it has the stupid short tailshaft bolt on yoke that makes the transmission useless. It has the ign module and voltage regulator bolted to a plate on the rear of the engine. It also has an odd trans dip stick that I assume was meant to warn you if the level got low. I'm leaning towards motor home, but wouldn't it have had a rear sump pan? It has 440-4 stamped on the side but I don't know if the -4 is important. It is a 4bbl with a thermoquad.

The guy had it on his trailer for $400 and didn't want to haul it home so I popped off and now I own it. I'm probably going to put it in my 77 d200. Looking down through the oil fill hole the top end looks spotless. I took the plugs out and spun it over with a jumper battery to make sure there wasn't any water in the cylinders since it was going to freeze and 2 cylinders had a good amount in them. It was clear though and had it been in there very long it would be stuck. Sprayed some lubricant in it to keep it from rusting and that's as far as I got since it's 28 and pouring rain right now..

It's not for an a body but the people around here are pretty knowledgeable so I hang around.

Thanks!

-
Back