45RFE for the Missile

-

blue missile

Reaction score
Here is the start of the SAGA,
I picked a 45RFE up for $200 in Holland, its out of a 2004- 1500 truck. It even came with a warranty.
Then there is the profile mock-up I made to see where it needed to sit in order to not hang below the frame rails.
Ill updtae you guys as the action continues.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo233.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Photo234.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 325
  • Photo236.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Photo237.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 216
Interesting. I have a 02 Dakota with a 45RFE and it seems to be a great working trans. I imagine an extra gear would make it even better. Looks like you really had to cut into the floor pan to make room for it? I know even the A500 and A518 require floor modification so it's a necessity for any Mopar O.D. trans install. I wonder how much power they'll handle and what aftermarket parts are available? Have you checked into that? Also what about the trans. controller? I'm sure it's totally computer controlled.

What engine will it be bolted too and what's the HP of said engine?

As it happens, I had to call the dealership to verify that what I was buying was what I wanted. The guy I got on the phone has a Dodge Dakota with a 45 in it. He has a twin turbocharged 750Hp motor and has had no problems with it taking the abuse.
There a number of companies that offer upgrade kits for this tranny that will make it stout enough for use behind the 600Hp 416 stroker planned.
For a TCM I need to get one from a 99-03 Grand Cherokee.
They were stand alone TCMs not integrated into the engine computer. There also a number of companies that will re-flash the TCM, makingit usable in my application.
Andrew

Next,I went and made cross sections at key points and peeled the floor open like an onion.
I then worked everything back to the mockup tranny and welded all the seams.
Next is getting the tranny in and getting the cross member remade.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo238.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Photo239.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 186
Andrew, you're quite the fabricator. I am really impressed. Nice job.

Nice job, that trans looks like new. FWIW, I did a lot of grinding on the top of the housing to help with the fitment.

I'm wondering if that TCM will work with other "E" series transmission's?

-
Back