46RE transmission without speed sensor

-

lunacy

Reaction score
Looking at a running/driving 2003 Durango with a 5.9 and 46RE transmission to swap into my 72 Dart. I have been told by some people that the RE transmissions in some years won't work right without the speed sensor out of the rear end. Does anyone have an RE in a Dart that functions as it should. What had to be done?

you can get a tail shafft housing that has a vss in it. You can also get a vss from a Ramcharger from late 80's which has cable drive vss from speedo cable. This is tail housing you want to look for.

46REVSS.jpg

Ok, so if I get a 46RH tail housing with the VSS, put it on the RE and the computer will read it just fine? I would think it would be different programming going from the big toothed ring in the rear end to whatever the transmission has.

you can get a tail shafft housing that has a vss in it. You can also get a vss from a Ramcharger from late 80's which has cable drive vss from speedo cable. This is tail housing you want to look for.

Its not an RH, its an RE. Is your Dur 2x or 4x? The PCM gets a pulse signal from either rear diff pick up or it gets the same pulse signal from trans mounted vss. Only difference is rear diff is signal and return while trans mounted is 5v, signal and sensor ground. The Ramcharger inline speedo cable type may be a better choice for you unless you are swapping out 4x4 tail shaft and housing to 2wd. Even the Furd 8.8 has one that works.

Looking at a different truck now, its a 4x4 so I would need to convert it over. I already have a 95 enigne and 46RH transmission. Could I use the overdrive/tail shaft off the RH to convert the RE over to 2wd or are they different?

Also, along these lines can I get all the sensors and wires off a 96 up truck and put them on my 95 motor and convert it over to OBD2?

Looking at a different truck now, its a 4x4 so I would need to convert it over. I already have a 95 enigne and 46RH transmission. Could I use the overdrive/tail shaft off the RH to convert the RE over to 2wd or are they different?

Also, along these lines can I get all the sensors and wires off a 96 up truck and put them on my 95 motor and convert it over to OBD2?

The RE is completely electronic controlled and the RH is road speed (governor) controlled shifting but the housings, output shafts, VB and OD section and controls can be swapped from one to the other as far as I know.
Of course the computer, VB and controls all have to go together.
On the 4x4 question, the OD section and output shaft with long housing from a 2 wheeler will swap over to the 4x4 trans.
And yes, with all the sensors from a 96 up a 95 down becomes an OBD capable setup.

I thought I mentioned it but I guess not, that I have the speed sensor for the RH housing sitting out in the shed and I don't need it since I am using an RH with pressure switches for automatic shifting and a standard speedo cable (well, a longer standard cable anyway)

Last edited:
I have a complete 95 engine and 46RH with sensors and wiring computer, etc. But I want to do some modification so tuning with the OBD2 setup is the way to go and then I might as well run the RE transmission as well. I want a 360 engine, not a 318 and i figured a complete vehicle would be best to get so I know I have everything, but most 360s seem to be in 4x4s, harder to find in a 2wd so hence my current questions.

Some of the earlier OBD years prolly have the trans mounted VSS.

-
Back