489 crush sleeve

-

71Demon

Reaction score
I need to remove the small yoke on my 489 chunk and install a large one. Can I do this without hurting the crush sleeve setting?

You need to replace the crush sleeve. It is just not worth the chance of tearing up your bearings because of the wrong bearing preload. At least I would never recommend not changing it. I know that plenty of people have not changed it and it was OK but it isn't for me being the crush sleeve is cheap.

Now if you had the solid spacer and shims you can just change the yoke.

Chuck

I don't know how to set up the crush sleeve. I heard the make a U joint with small and large ends. Anyone know where to get one? or hopefully a part number?

The best way to go for you is to determine how much preload is on the pinion bearing right now, and repeat that with a new crush sleeve. Otherwise you might ruin the bearings as they get another preload all of a sudden.
The preload usually wears down with age, and increasing it can cause the bearings to fail.
Ideally you should check the preload, take the yoke, outer bearing, and sleeve out of the centersection. Then put in a solid spacer and shim it out to the same preload you measured before. When you've got it shimmed out, install the bearing, a new seal and the new yoke.

Good luck,

Antoon

Thanks a bunch guys. I'm going for the U joint swap.

-
Back