5.2 Magnum fan clutch

-

mprhoodlum

Inmate
Reaction score
Anybody know how to remove fan clutch and pulley from 5.2 Magnum water pump. I thought you turned the hex shaft, but I took the water pump off, put the impeller in the vise and turned with a gretbig crescent wrench. I just turns.

Usually do it with the belt still attached to hold pulley, but have done it in a vise as well. If you can get the proper size wrench and a plastic dead blow mallet, give the wrench a few good blows to loosen clutch nut, hopefully it will come loose for you. if it doesn't, there is a special tool attachment that goes on an air hammer that a local garage should have, ask nicely and they should be able to help you out.

The clutch fan just threads on to water pump shaft, sometimes they are a ***** to break loose. If you are replacing water pump, don't worry about bugging up the pulley as new water pump will come with a pulley. Hold it anyway you can, but it usually takes a good whack with a hammer and wrench to break it loose. Hope this helps.

yep i just did the pump on the 5.9 ram... have to take the old assembly to break it loose...

I did one last winter on my cousins 3.9 and had to heat the nut with a torch.
Also I think they are left hand thread, really cant remember if the thread is L or R hand.

Air chisel or "spanner" wrench.

Might get lucky with strap wrench.

Spanner wrench is at Advance for about $35.

Lisle has a kit with spanner and 36mm "big" flat steel wrench head that accepts a 1/2 drive breaker bar.

Kinda spendy at about $75, and kinda wobbly to work with, but good to get torque with once you get it on.

BTW, I've seen two different hole pattern on the pulley face for the spanner.

The Lisle tool has both, and actually fits three or four different patterns.

I used a large cresent wrench on mine, and had to borrow one that was also thin enough to fit in the tight space where the nut is. Just as people have said above, it just takes a good whack. I was actually surprised how that's all it takes. I was the confused the same as you and my dad helped me out here.

Same with going back on you just give a good whack back in the other direction, not really tightened like you might think. I guess it's because of the LH threads and will only tighten when the motor is spinning.

Just did mine with a strap wrench, wife holding with long pipe extention, large crescent and dead blow on crescent. Would be much easier before the belt is removed. :banghead:

Ive taken to getting a bolt into one or two of the holes on the pulley - has to be a hardened steel bolt and along with the fan belt you can get it loose. The bolts catch on some of the strengthening ribs that go out from the middle. It takes quite a bit sometimes though...

-
Back