5.7 Hemi Duster

-
Probably need to decide what you want first. The BB will be more old school (and cool) but the 5.7 will be more new school (and cool as well).

You can carb a 5.7, but it has to be an '08 and older as the MSD ignition setup only works on those. And there are only 1 or 2 options for a carb'ed intake, if that anymore. Add that the '08 with a carb will be down a good amount of power to a later 5.7 with EFI, VVT and variable runner intake tech. So, in my mind, pulling the EFI off a 5.7 is a mistake.

At the same time, adding EFI to a BB can be some work if you run a low deck motor as there isn't an off the self intake that I am aware of. The tall deck motors have kit options (I think), but a low deck will be a custom intake. And when you are done, you still don't have the option of VVT and SRV intakes like the 5.7 does.

So, probably best to decide which direction you want to go and then pick the motor that fits better.

Just some thoughts.

Probably need to decide what you want first. The BB will be more old school (and cool) but the 5.7 will be more new school (and cool as well).

You can carb a 5.7, but it has to be an '08 and older as the MSD ignition setup only works on those. And there are only 1 or 2 options for a carb'ed intake, if that anymore. Add that the '08 with a carb will be down a good amount of power to a later 5.7 with EFI, VVT and variable runner intake tech. So, in my mind, pulling the EFI off a 5.7 is a mistake.

At the same time, adding EFI to a BB can be some work if you run a low deck motor as there isn't an off the self intake that I am aware of. The tall deck motors have kit options (I think), but a low deck will be a custom intake. And when you are done, you still don't have the option of VVT and SRV intakes like the 5.7 does.

So, probably best to decide which direction you want to go and then pick the motor that fits better.

Just some thoughts.
Thanks for your input. Yes, I need to decide which way I'm going. I have time, need to rebuild the front end and brakes first.

Just curious, what is your end goal is for the car?
The body isn't in the best shape so I don't want to over step the value. However, I do want to invest in a nice street performance car. I love the Mopar experience, would love a 383 or 440 big block street pounder...

What he said /\

Figure out your budget and if it's within reality for ya

Go for the Gen III. The change over has its challenges, but what swap doesn't ? I think it looks like it belongs! 1970 Duster. /6 k frame, torsion bars, manual steering with unmodified steering column and column shift.

20230914_211515.jpg

Do it! You won’t regret it.

IMG_4838.jpeg

IMG_4839.png
05’ 5.7 from ram truck with 545rfe transmission 24 mpg and plent of power. 2100 rpm at 80mph cruising speed love it.

All I can say is if you're on the fence.. There's really only one real answer that will satisfy you.

I have a 5.7 warmed up and it moves very well for what little i have in it. backed with a 904 trans. I am telling you that you won't regret putting a gen 3 in your car.

Just some thoughts.
FYI, EFI Source offers an ignition kit for carb applications. It shouldn't matter which model year engine either since it's basically a microsquirt. You can get the same thing from DIY Autotune, but you would have to make your own harness. Also, the micro likely uses wasted spark instead of sequential. Not sure of the operation (wasted or sequential) of the MSD.

-
Back