5.9 camshaft choice for 69 dart

-

moparmadd077

casey
Reaction score
I know this is a beat up subject and there are many variables but I am very torn on what to put in my 2001 5.9 magnum. the motor is going in a 1969 dart with 3.73 gears and a 4 spd. it will be a street car with an occasional trip to the track. I would really like a streetable cam with a muscle lope at idle. I will most likely be using either the stock heads or the engine quest replacement heads. I just need some recommendations for cam grinds and brands. as well as spring pressures. thanks in advance.

Call Dave Hughes at Hughes engines. He's nailed a cam choice for two different motors I have. They were spot on for both my set-ups, giving me a nasty sounding idle lope along with incredible performance from idle all the way up.

Call Dave Hughes at Hughes engines. He's nailed a cam choice for two different motors I have. They were spot on for both my set-ups, giving me a nasty sounding idle lope along with incredible performance from idle all the way up.
okay I will do that. did you use hughes cams? or just his specs

okay I will do that. did you use hughes cams? or just his specs
Give "MoparMagnum" a P.M.. He's doing good deals,better than Hughes..Racer Brown's cam grinder ,is doing his cams..
magnummopar.com... He beats mail order Scummit,& Jegs....

I bought my cams from Hughes. They were both custom grinds via Dave's recommendations. Cheaper isn't always better or worse. Hughes cam's tend to have more lift for a given duration. A stock headed Magnum can only have so much lift. It's important to match your cam to the other components in the engine & drivetrain. If you get close enough to optimal, you will enjoy the car more. That's assuming the rest of the components in the drivetrain are well-matched too. Get all of them right, and you will really enjoy a properly spec'd and matched cam.

Last edited:
Are you staying roller?

I don't believe roller cams lope as much as non-rollers by design (efficiency).

However, I LOVE the sound of the factory 5.9 in my 2000 Dakota R/T and would be thrilled to have my vintage cars sound that way.

Are you staying roller?

I don't believe roller cams lope as much as non-rollers by design (efficiency).

However, I LOVE the sound of the factory 5.9 in my 2000 Dakota R/T and would be thrilled to have my vintage cars sound that way.
Yeah I want to stay toller

I went with the Vodoo 20200715, I did change to Hughes EQ prepped heads.

Did you use stock spring pressures?

The stock springs and pressures suck for anything more than stock and the EQ mag heads are not capable of much lift out of the box unless you get retainers that allow more clearance.
Moparmagnum on here can get you the special retainers and locks good for around .500 or a bit more lift if that will be ok.
If you want a big cam you may need to have the seats and guides cut on the EQ's
There is also the option of valves with longer stems, but then you have to have different rocker gear capable of doing it.
(Lots of Chevy aftermarkets available for this fairly cheap if needed)

Personally I stuck with the 1.92 valves that came with the heads and went with the Hughes springs and special retainers, and that way I was able to use a cam a bit over 500 with the stock Mag rockers and even the stock roller lifters and pushrods.
The different cams long/short are for a mechanical fuel pump, as the long cam has the attaching point for the eccentric for the pump.
I have and always will run an electric so I used the short (Magnum style) cam as well.
It all worked out really well together.

Last edited:
I used a comp 262 roller in my truck, it pulls the car trailer hard.
Lots of torque, street friendly, revs good where you need it.

210/220 @.050 .544 lift, 108 LSA .........Avoid Hughes or PIE............
Evan @ MagnumMopar is a good dude.....
Do not waste your time with the stock heads, EQ with a set of bronze guides and decent springs are where it's at on the cheap!

-
Back