5.9 magnum tuning?

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
So guys that run the 5.9 magnum motor what is out there to tune them with? Being a speed density f/i setup swapping the cam or the intake will mess with the ve tables and make the engine run like crap so is there tuning software out there for these engines?

So guys that run the 5.9 magnum motor what is out there to tune them with? Being a speed density f/i setup swapping the cam or the intake will mess with the ve tables and make the engine run like crap so is there tuning software out there for these engines?

What year PCM? If if it JTEC you can use SCT. You can buy a handheld tuner and pay someone to tune or buy a proracer package that lets you do everything yourself. I bought the PRP+Handheld for $250 ... the MSRP is $1000 .... sometimes deals can be had on this stuff.

Here is an example of what the PRP can do, I am meangreen BTW:

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47498

The learning curve is steep though, so if your not a DIY type guy you can pay someone to write you a tune for about $150

I also used an Accel DFI setup on the same truck. That was a million times better, but more expensive and wasn't smoggable on my truck.

You will need datalogging with the SCT setup. Shoot me a PM if you go either of these directions and I can give you a hand setting up a base tune ....

yes i seen on this web achip that pugs in some where in wiring .they say it will give you 69 more ponys for 69.00 dyno proven .....i putting 318 mag in 1964 valaint and i am interested in chip if you see it pm me ...... this is astock motor what ans increase 304 ponys

yes i seen on this web achip that pugs in some where in wiring .they say it will give you 69 more ponys for 69.00 dyno proven .....i putting 318 mag in 1964 valaint and i am interested in chip if you see it pm me ...... this is astock motor what ans increase 304 ponys

Is it the Jet chip by any chance? That one don't work. Computer evntually adapts to it, and its effect is adjusted out.

Superchips 3715 works GREAT for a stock motor. I used it on mine before I got a cam. It isn't adjustable, but it is nice for a stock cam type setup.

If you go with Megasquirt let me know and I'll send you my base fuel and ignition maps if you want somewhere to start.
-Jon

SI855799.jpg

Well it's a 98 PCM and I have done some tuning on the new hemi stuff so I know the learning curve is tough

Well it's a 98 PCM and I have done some tuning on the new hemi stuff so I know the learning curve is tough

With a 98, as long as you aren't going too wild on the cam or with forced induction, I would go SCT proracer ... if you are staying with OE MPI that is. I can shoot you the name of the guy that sold me mine for $250 ... I don't know if the sale is still on though...

What year PCM? If if it JTEC you can use SCT. You can buy a handheld tuner and pay someone to tune or buy a proracer package that lets you do everything yourself. I bought the PRP+Handheld for $250 ... the MSRP is $1000 .... sometimes deals can be had on this stuff.

Here is an example of what the PRP can do, I am meangreen BTW:

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47498

The learning curve is steep though, so if your not a DIY type guy you can pay someone to write you a tune for about $150

I also used an Accel DFI setup on the same truck. That was a million times better, but more expensive and wasn't smoggable on my truck.

You will need datalogging with the SCT setup. Shoot me a PM if you go either of these directions and I can give you a hand setting up a base tune ....

SCT seems to be some good ****.
If you want a good selection of tunes, get on one of the dodge dakota boards where people have a lot of experience with it.

PM member rnaz on this board. He's got a 390 magnum with a 236/242 cam and 11:1 compression in a club cab dakota 4x4 running 12s. he's a good guy and I am sure he could help you. Strong numbers for a heavy *** 4x4 dakota! Imagine what a tune like that would do in an a body!

I would try to help you, but I have removed the magnum EFI from mine in favor of a carb. If it's one thing I love about Michigan, it's no emissions testing!:cheers:

If you go with Megasquirt let me know and I'll send you my base fuel and ignition maps if you want somewhere to start.
-Jon

I was unaware you were running a megasquirt. Awesome!
I know a few people who would love to annoy the hell out of you for info. hehe

I'm going to stick with the MPI so I would want it to work if I change the cam or get some free flowing heads. I have worked with SCT tuning so I can see that being the good choice.

-
Back