/6 auto to manual conversion?

-

lildemonkid

Reaction score
hey guys. looking to swap my 68 dart from auto to manual. i have a 3 and 4 speed that will work with the motor, a pedal assm, and i believe somewhere the z-bar and pivot balls off a newer /6 dart. i need to konw where the pivots mount and if im going to be in over my head on this?

No way for us to know if you're over your head as we don't know your mechanical ability. Do you have a bellhousing? The three speed and four speed do not share the same bellhousing bolt pattern where they bolt to the bellhousing. Some bellhousings do have both patterns, though. One end of the Z bar attaches to a bracket on the bellhousing and the other to a bracket on the frame rail. Needless to say, you'll need those brakets as well.

No way for us to know if you're over your head as we don't know your mechanical ability. Do you have a bellhousing? The three speed and four speed do not share the same bellhousing bolt pattern where they bolt to the bellhousing. Some bellhousings do have both patterns, though. One end of the Z bar attaches to a bracket on the bellhousing and the other to a bracket on the frame rail. Needless to say, you'll need those brakets as well.

Good point.... haha. i'm pretty confident that i have the mechanical ability. i do have a bellhousing. one is a 3 speed and the other is a 4 speed. i believe. ill have to test it later today. thanks for that point. any way i can get pictures of the bracket on the bellhousing? hopefully i can gather all the info here in the next week or so. any difficulties that i need to know of? :prayer:

Do you have the proper driveshaft. There are variations in wheelbases and transmission yokes between manuals and auto among the various a-bodies. I remember hearing something about later bellhousings having the pivot for the clutch in a different location than the early stuff, but I can't say as to wether or not that is true someone else will have to confirm that one.

Do you have the proper driveshaft. There are variations in wheelbases and transmission yokes between manuals and auto among the various a-bodies. I remember hearing something about later bellhousings having the pivot for the clutch in a different location than the early stuff, but I can't say as to wether or not that is true someone else will have to confirm that one.

i have a buddy that fabs custom driveshafts so thats no issue. and if somebody can get some pics off their 68 dart for where the pivot ball is it would be greatly appreciated! :prayer:

Here's where the bracket welds in(left side inner fender)
zbarbrkt3.jpg

-
Back