'63 Val - steering arms - manual/power - same?

-

AussiePlymouths

Reaction score
I have a '63 Signet. I may have to replace the lower ball joints (haven't checked them, but I did have to do the 4 tie rod ends). My question is: Are they different manual or power steering???
I ask because I checked my Aussie Valiant parts car (it has manual steering) and the steering arms appear to bend away from the brake backing plates at less of an angle than the Plymouth Valiant with power steering. It's pretty hard to get an accurate idea but they look a bit different.
Yes, I know that there are sources for the US lower ball joints, but I will pay dearly for shipping and if I replace them would I need to order power steering ones????
Our LBJ's out here are much cheaper and shipping is next to nothing, but the Aussie ones just don't look right.
Any info much appreciated.:happy7:. Thanks

Ball joints are the same whether manual or power steering.

the only difference was whether it was a disc or drum brake car.. the disc brake had a thicker stud.

Also these cars are old & parts could have been swapped from similar models--- the 60-61 valiants had a slightly different set-up than the 62-72 usa cars

moog part numbers:
62-72 A body w/o disk brakes
K785 K787
65-72 A body w/ disk brakes
K7021 K7023

hope that helps ,Lawrence
by the way nice looking car!!

I have a '63 Signet. I may have to replace the lower ball joints (haven't checked them, but I did have to do the 4 tie rod ends). My question is: Are they different manual or power steering???

No, and checking the Australian and US factory parts catalogues, I confirm your visual impression that the RHD ones aren't the same as the LHD ones. Uppers are the same, but lowers are not. Send me a PM; I may have a set of those lower balljoints new in box from my last drum brake A-body (which I no longer own) and I have no problem shipping internationally.

-
Back