64 Dart GT vert top questions

-

Bil_B

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just bought a 64 droptop, red with white stripe and the top needs to be fully replaced... I am going to be purchasing a new one online today.

My questions:

1) Besides the actual top with vinyl window, is there anything else that needs to be purchased?

2) Going with a white top... wondering whether to go with standard or bright white.

Any other suggestions... I'm all ears!

Cheers,
B

dart1.jpg

Screen_Shot_2015_02_02_at_10_21_36_AM.png

Top pads, staples, glue, possibly new rear tack strip, hold down cables... How is your well liner cause on the early darts that all needs to be done in one swoop. Nice grab do you plan on doing the top yourself?

Thanks, Joel.

The top is completely non-existent, so no liner present.
Thought about doing it myself, but it might be best to leave this job to a pro.

-B

Top pads, staples, glue, possibly new rear tack strip, hold down cables... How is your well liner cause on the early darts that all needs to be done in one swoop. Nice grab do you plan on doing the top yourself?

It can be done... Mine was my first top and is definitely not perfect but it gave me a top to use and I'll have it redone later. Do you have the convertible trim on the car?

How is your well liner cause on the early darts that all needs to be done in one swoop.

If you need a well liner, I've got the one out of my 65 Dart 'vert - dirty but no rips or tears and heavy duty material. It was made in 86 when I had the top replaced. In taking my top and bows off, it looks like the well line needs to go in pretty much first. If interested, drop me a PM

Sorry Joel, not sure what you mean by convertible trim :(

It can be done... Mine was my first top and is definitely not perfect but it gave me a top to use and I'll have it redone later. Do you have the convertible trim on the car?

Hi everyone,

Just bought a 64 droptop, red with white stripe and the top needs to be fully replaced... I am going to be purchasing a new one online today.

My questions:

1) Besides the actual top with vinyl window, is there anything else that needs to be purchased?

2) Going with a white top... wondering whether to go with standard or bright white.

Any other suggestions... I'm all ears!

Cheers,
B

dart1.jpg

Screen_Shot_2015_02_02_at_10_21_36_AM.png

hmm nice looking car. post more closer pic's of the rear section where the top goes and we can better help you.

I see you have most of the trim for the top still on there from the one picture that I can see so that's a plus. the top goes under the stainless and pot metal trim going around the rear section of your car except for the last 6 inches or so near your quarter windows on the rear seat area. then the top slides into the well liner for drainage(and ripping from stress). there is a photo or 2,3,4 on the 66 dart convertible restoration for the guy in Malaysia to give you an example of the process and the cut needed to make the top go inside for drainage and to stop it from tearing the top when you put it down.
I like the way the 63-66's setup without the extra tack strips and such. it's just "well liner Rear window curtain and then the top.

it's fiddly for sure, but measure,measure,measure and then test without staples. then go for it if everything looks good.

Good pads are a MUST! some are cheap cotton with thin vinyl covering.

I get my tops and pads as a kit from electron tops(they have the brass zippers instead of the plastic zipper for longer life down here in Florida) per a friend that does higher end car
restoration.
electron top might ask you if you have a 24.5 inch rear bow location or the 26 inch bow location. (my 66 was 26 and the 63 was 24.5) pull the rear bow up into closed position and measure from the center of the bow to the center of the dutchmans panel to get the measurement if you have the cables attached still, if not go to the FSM for measurements.
After that get staples, Factory service manual, contact cement well liner and new snaps (from a uoholstery shop , NOT online unless they service and make tops). no rear tack strip is needed for the 64 since it's just a metal piece that goes under the stainless molding that substitutes for the rear tack strip. make sure you have good felt on the all the other bows or replace them with substitutes for long life. (watch out for the rear bow that you have to staple the rear curtain to, make sure it's in great shape.)

Thanks for the info guys.

I've decided to go ahead and do this with a friend, instead of going to an upholsterer. Was looking at the EZ top kits. Any thoughts on these?

Also wondering whether to to go with the white or bright white...? Suggestions?

Thanks again... will post pics when it's done.

Any other suggestions, feel free to let me know!

Cheers,
B

If you need a well liner, I've got the one out of my 65 Dart 'vert - dirty but no rips or tears and heavy duty material. It was made in 86 when I had the top replaced. In taking my top and bows off, it looks like the well line needs to go in pretty much first. If interested, drop me a PM

I need one for my '65. I'm second in line, but PM me if it's available.

With apologies for highjacking, I know the right people are reading this thread: I need the rear bow for my '65 'vert. If you have one or know of anyone making them, please PM.

Thanks for the info guys. I've decided to go ahead and do this with a friend, instead of going to an upholsterer. Was looking at the EZ top kits. Any thoughts on these? Also wondering whether to to go with the white or bright white...? Suggestions? Thanks again... will post pics when it's done. Any other suggestions, feel free to let me know! Cheers, B
in my opinion Robbins makes the best top as far as a major provider goes... Call some places and have them send you a sample and decide that way... Believe it or not all tops are not created equal

With apologies for highjacking, I know the right people are reading this thread: I need the rear bow for my '65 'vert. If you have one or know of anyone making them, please PM.

I may have one... I had a whole top mech in my garage at some point I can check

I just removed the top bows from my 65 GT 'vert (although all loose and sitting where the well liner used to be, it's too awkward for me by myself to get it out of the well area. If Salinasjoel can't help, I do have the complete top bow assembly.

I just removed the top bows from my 65 GT 'vert (although all loose and sitting where the well liner used to be, it's too awkward for me by myself to get it out of the well area. If Salinasjoel can't help, I do have the complete top bow assembly.

I just need the third (rear) bow. I'm not sure I follow the part about it being awkward to get it out of the well area, as loose and sitting sounds like the work is already done, so I hope we're talking about the same thing.

-
Back