'65 Dart Freeway shake

-

Aaron65

Reaction score
I think I'm going to be going down the old $$$ rabbit hole here, but I figured I'd try to get some ideas first.

My Dart shakes pretty badly on the freeway. It's almost not noticeable at 65, and by 70 the dash and wheel are shaking up and down all over the place. Any faster and it keeps shaking. I sometimes feel it in the seat, but it's mostly in the wheel/dash.

I've had two sets of tires/rims on it, and the current set is new from Wheel Vintique with new tires. They were balanced by the local Discount Tire, and my other old cars don't shake like this. It seems to shake about the same with both sets of tires. The lower ball joints are new, the tie rods are tight, the idler arm is new, but everything else is old. Everything feels tight except for I recently noticed a bit of play in the left upper ball joint, not a lot. It has a set of the white KYB shocks that came with the car.

I've driven cars with old suspension before, and they don't generally shake like this. The front end doesn't really clunk or wander (more than a normal old car). I understand new bushings and stuff are always a good idea, but I don't want to spend time and money on things that aren't going to fix the problem either.

One last thing: I did have the local driveshaft shop replace my trunnion boot and rebalance the driveshaft, but it doesn't feel like a driveline vibration to me, especially considering that it's in the wheel.

Well, let me know if you have any idea where to start here. Thanks!

Get the car up to the speed it will shake at. after it starts shaking put the car in neutral. if it stops your problem is in the drive line. If not its in the suspension.

I think I'm going to be going down the old $$$ rabbit hole here, but I figured I'd try to get some ideas first.

My Dart shakes pretty badly on the freeway. It's almost not noticeable at 65, and by 70 the dash and wheel are shaking up and down all over the place. Any faster and it keeps shaking. I sometimes feel it in the seat, but it's mostly in the wheel/dash.

I've had two sets of tires/rims on it, and the current set is new from Wheel Vintique with new tires. They were balanced by the local Discount Tire, and my other old cars don't shake like this. It seems to shake about the same with both sets of tires. The lower ball joints are new, the tie rods are tight, the idler arm is new, but everything else is old. Everything feels tight except for I recently noticed a bit of play in the left upper ball joint, not a lot. It has a set of the white KYB shocks that came with the car.

I've driven cars with old suspension before, and they don't generally shake like this. The front end doesn't really clunk or wander (more than a normal old car). I understand new bushings and stuff are always a good idea, but I don't want to spend time and money on things that aren't going to fix the problem either.

One last thing: I did have the local driveshaft shop replace my trunnion boot and rebalance the driveshaft, but it doesn't feel like a driveline vibration to me, especially considering that it's in the wheel.

Well, let me know if you have any idea where to start here. Thanks!

Would you rather have a car that shakes, and spend your money on tires that get trashed in no time?
Start with an idler arm check, and then take a good look at the bushings and ball joints.
Another recommendation I have for you is to make sure you have a decent amount of positive caster and use the newer alignment specs.

I realize not everyone can just run out and throw money at their car (I sure can't) and I'm not one to tell people to do it either, but the problem you have as well as the safety of the car justifies it in this case.

Let me share a scenario with you that actually happened to me when I was trying to put off spending the money on replacing all the front bushings.
I was driving down the road in the right lane and I was coming up on an intersection where a slower car was pulling out turning right to go the same direction I was.
I signaled and started to move over into the left lane to go by him and my left front tire hit one of those reflectors they imbed in the pavement, and my car instantly yanked to the left enough where I damn near hit a guy waiting in the turn lane coming the opposite way head on.
My car almost instantly skipped over an entire lane and into the oncoming left turn lane.

That was it, and the bushings got changed. (almost too late though)

Since then it has always driven really nice with zero wandering or play.

-
Back