65 dart shimmies around 40 mph

-

mattb1977

Reaction score
hi, I recently bought a set of crager ss rims for my dart, while we had it in the shop I wanted the front end raised back up, the previous owner had it lowered down to were it almost scraped. so we raised the front end back up to were it looked proper, then I attempted to adjust the shift linkage ! Now at around 45 it shimmies and screams like I have a set of 4.11 in it ! everything before worked good, I don't believe its the rims/tires because we balanced them. Any input would be great, thanks.

Align it, if you can. How high was it raised? Off-hand, with no book near me; seem to remember measurement of 1 7/8" diff between bottom of torsion arm bushing, and lower ball joint. More, and problems result.

thats what I was thinking it was more due to adjustment I made then the shift linkage, though I have to adjust that again too ! I'm wondering if the tires may be worn to the old ride height.

make double sure that the lug nuts are correct. If they are too long, even just a little,
the car will act wierd. (this causes the wheel to be slightly loose; trust me, it has happened to me). Indeed the shift linkage needs to be exactly right also. The ss cragars do not use a register hole to center the wheel, just the shouldered lugnuts.

I know it was a pain in the butt to find the proper lugnut, I have the crager brand lugnuts made for the SS rims. Probably wouldn't hurt to check, so basically fix alignment and readjust the shift points. It sounds like a screaming meaning around 50 !

-
Back