68/75 Dart from BR

-

Dart_br

Reaction score
Hi all

Let me introduce myself:

My name is Rafael, im from Brazil, more precisely, from the south of Brazil. I am a big fan of mopars, and it is a problem here, since the mopars are very rare here, and also VERY expensive. Few months ago i found a 1975 Dart (1968 model in USA) that was literaly burried (almost) alive. I bought it cheap, and the car is very solid, 95% rust free. The car need a good body and paint work, and this is a big problem here due to the lack of good shops to do the job. The car will be a street/strip car, more street than strip, and the engine, gears and suspension i will take care by myself. I degree as a mechanical engineer, and after this, went to a pilot school and now i am a first officer in a airline here in Brazil. Due to this, i use to travel to USA two or three times a year, so i can get the parts i need to the car.

The project:

No frills. Engine is a 402 cid, 4"x4", with magnum heads, ported, with a XE284h cam. Eagle crank, speed pro pistons, moly rings, 10:1 CR, Cheap headers, and in the top of the cake, a mopar M1 intake and fuel injection. The ECU is fully programable and made here in BR, www.fueltech.com.br .
The car have a factory 3spd mechanical gear box with floor shifter, that i'll keep until i find a 904 and rebuild it.
The rear end is very particular, here the a-bodies came with a "copy" of the GM 10-bolts, made here in BR, but are very reliable and strong, we use this rear-ends in 10s cars successfully. I have one of these with 3,91 gears and limited slip diff.

I will keep this topic updated as much as my time allows, since i travel a LOT, and it will be good to keep myself motivated.

The goal:

I will get married in 14/jan, and NEED to go to the church in MY car. Counting from now, i have 7 months.

The progress:

The engine is almost ready, i took the engine block from the machine shop last week, and is ready to assemble. I torqued the main caps, i am using ARP studs, and checked all the clearances and everything is OK. The studs looks longer than they should be, and they hit the botton, i ll need to shorten they in the lathe. Probably in the next few weeks the engine will be ready to fire up, but i had several problems with the guy that was doing the body work. Friday when i arrive from the flight i ll take the car to another shop that my friend indicated to me.

Any comments, sugestions, or complains are welcome. And sorry for my bad english, i am doing my best =)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 123
If no one said it yet-Welcome to FABO!

Trust me, I and many others butcher English as much or worse than someone whose first language is not English. We get ya Rafael :)

In any case, sounds like you have the makes for a fun project and happily have a steady job. There are probably hundreds of good folks on here that can help your project come to fruition. I know I'll keep an eye on this one...always like to see other people's creations come to life or be reborn.

Again-Welcome!

Jeff

Your English is fine. Very good, actually.

Very cool car. I look forward to updates. I find learning about Mopars from outside the USA interesting, especially since I never knew much about them until the past year or so. It's so great that some countries kept the classic '60s look well into the '70s!

Welcome to FABO!

Also... it looks like it has '69 style side marker lights? What did they have for grille and taillights? '68 style or '69?

If no one said it yet-Welcome to FABO!

Trust me, I and many others butcher English as much or worse than someone whose first language is not English. We get ya Rafael :)

In any case, sounds like you have the makes for a fun project and happily have a steady job. There are probably hundreds of good folks on here that can help your project come to fruition. I know I'll keep an eye on this one...always like to see other people's creations come to life or be reborn.

Again-Welcome!

Jeff

thanks Jeff, that's exactly what i'm doing, a reborn. a lot of work to do, but i think that i'll achive my goal. and thanks for the welcome!!

Your English is fine. Very good, actually.

Very cool car. I look forward to updates. I find learning about Mopars from outside the USA interesting, especially since I never knew much about them until the past year or so. It's so great that some countries kept the classic '60s look well into the '70s!

Welcome to FABO!

Also... it looks like it has '69 style side marker lights? What did they have for grille and taillights? '68 style or '69?

thanks for the welcome too! i thing that BR dodge's have some particularities, like the side marker lights, our cars don't came with side marker lights, only "reflective" markers, i'll take some pictures to show you. the grille is the '69 US model, and also the taillights.

last week i rebuilt the brake calipers, that was in a really bad shape and gave me a lot of work to bring they back to life, but they are perfect now. here go some "before and after" pics.

Attachments

• photo 1(1).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 83
  • photo 3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 83
  • photo 4.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 78
  • photo 5.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 87
after high-temp paint, and ready to go

Attachments

• photo 2(1).jpg