68 Barracuda Thumbwheel Radio question.

-

Mopardude68

Reaction score
I need to pull a thumbwheel radio out of a '68 Barracuda for repair. Can someone tell me whether I have to completely remove the front of the dash or can I just pull it out far enough to get to the front screws?

You might be able to access the screws through the thumbwheel holes if you loosen it. You should have one in the rear too that attaches the back of the radio to the inside edge of the dashboard. Welcome to the site Mopardude68.

You might be able to. You should remove all the screws holding the cluster bezel to the dash and slide it forward real easy. Be careful not to pull too far out. The wiring harness doesn't have much slack unless you disconnect them from the circuit board in the back. There are two connecting points one behind the gauge cluster and the other on the left which is a s-o-b to get at.

Be careful the pins on the circuit board can be damaged easy. If you decide to remove the whole thing. Which might be the easiest. I removed the whole bezel in mine to work on the interior.

The bezel at the bottom of the radio isn't real strong take care not to crack it like the previous owner did to mine trying to put a different radio in.

Hope this helps a little. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Chime in guys or gals.

Oh and welcome to the site. Lot of knowledgeable folks here! Questions are always welcome.

Go to the Welcome Wagon forum and introduce yourself if you haven't already.

Good luck!
norshor

There are two nuts on the backside that you need to remove. You do not have to remove the dash bezel/instrument cluster.

-
Back