68 barracuda trunk decal

-

5.7bob

Reaction score
I bought one from a company on ebay and it is more purple than red. Anyone have a source for material? I am looking for material to replace the red that goes across the back of the trunk between the tail lite lenses.

You have to be careful about the decals. Some are properly done, some are not. I got my correct one from performance car graphics and it was right on! Note the difference between these two. One has small letters, other large. One is 68, other 69.
2856100-68.jpg
2856100-69.jpg

Whoops...are you talking about the reflective trunk decal?? Sorry, thought you were referring to the jack decal.

You are correct, they are printing the maroon decal on a new type of printable reflective material (the old material is no longer made). It does come out purple. I actually had one installed and removed it (I was refunded) because of this. This company I referred to above had that problem, but was good about sticking behind their product.

I have seen a company somewhere that sells a new burgundy product that isn't quite accurate on the maroon color, but reflects correctly. I'll see if I can find that and get back with you.

****After looking at the Performance Car Graphics website it looks like that no longer offer the printed stripe ( I guess I helped them out on that one) and now offer a Burgundy reflective instead. That may be your best bet.

Just a thought, but Mike is a great member on here and owns Auto Trim Design. His signon is 2darts (no spaces) He has done me a few decals that are amazing with 3M material!!

The problem is that no one offers a maroon reflective material. It has to be printed on a printable base that absorbs the ink. That has to be done on large injet with special UV resistant inks. You can sometimes see streaks in the decals out there where the inks didn't absorb evenly.

I believe most of the sign companies will send you a small sample. That is what ended up happening with my reflective trunk decal. After I had already installed mine (on a burgundy car) and it reflected purple, it looked so bad I took it back off. I called the company and they explained the issue with the new printable 3M reflective material. They sent me a sample of the old 3M material that had been discontinued that once printed, reflected properly (a nice dark red), then of course, the new stuff that looks maroon in the daylight, but reflects purple at night (tacky looking). They also sent me a sample of the ruby red material which is really just a slightly dark red (too red for my burgundy car). Now I see they actually offer this stripe from Avery- a burgundy (not the correct shade of maroon) that reflects the right color.

newbie here.

I recently bought a 68 Barracuda and was wondering about these reflective decals... my car was repainted and doesn't currently have the decal. can you tell me, was this decal applied to all of the gen 2 barracudas, or just certain years and packages? I've been digging around and can't find any info. I'm also looking for information on the "horizontal accent stripe", if you know anything about that.

thanks.

-
Back