7 1/4 to 8 3/4 swap

-

dodgeluver

Reaction score
I'm sure this is not a new subject, but I need some information. I am pulling a 7 1/4 out of a 68 Dart with a 273/904 automatic and installing an 8 3/4. I'm also installing a slightly beefed up 318 (68 vintage) and a TCI A904. Question: what will the length of the driveshaft have to be. I know it needs to be shortened because of the length of the 8 3/4 differential, but I don't know the correct length for this set up. Any help will be appreciated.

In my opinion, the best way to do it is measure after you install the rear.

Call a local shop that shortens drive shafts and ask them how they want you to measure it.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but that's what I did when I swapped and it's perfect.

It needs to be measured with full weight on the rear suspension, ie; jack stands under the axle tubes.

He just needs to keep in mind that there are two different wheelbase lengths used on our second generation A-bodies so a hard number may be the wrong number. We know what car the parts are coming out of but have no idea what car they are going in.

Precisely, that's why it's a good thing to measure for fitment. It takes any guesswork AND mistakes out of the equation.

-
Back