70 Bell Drum question

-

dustadude

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read this, I've tried searching the forums and reading the info about the "Bell" drum which I currently have sitting on the 8 3/4 rear in my 70 Duster, and my question is this, is there anyway I could replace this impossible to find part with another more readily available standard drum? Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

The replacement drums didn't use the bell. Trouble is the replacement drums are obsolete now so you just have to buy used or hunt until you find some on some website. Others have spoken of modifying front drums to use bet the supply of them also seem to be drying up too.

Or you could use the 10"X2" backing plates, brakes, and drums from '73 up A,B,E,F,J,M bodies and have the new, available, drums redrilled for your 5" on 4" axles. Works like a streak.

Or you could use the 10"X2" backing plates, brakes, and drums from '73 up A,B,E,F,J,M bodies and have the new, available, drums redrilled for your 5" on 4" axles. Works like a streak.

Center register is way too big on the later drums so unless you are having a ring made this isn't a good idea. This is a picture showing a Mopar brake drum on an axle with a much larger hub register than our sbp Mopars.

Quite a bit of research has been done on this.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=284725&highlight=ford

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=280519

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=284979

This is a problem because? Won't you still have 5 nuts holding the drum in place and a wheel to cover the ugly? Never said it would be Mopar perfect, just said it would work. I agree that the perfect solution would be a conversion to big bolt pattern, but what if dustadude doesn't have the bucks or inclination for new axles, front spindles,upper control arms, dust shields, rotors, caliper brackets, calipers, pads, hardware, bearings. etc., AND the aforementioned rear brakes?

I'm slowly piecing together the front end parts for the swap, but currently don't have enough for the rear end axles, new drums, and haven't even looked at rims and tires because I know that will blow the budget. Eventually yes I plan to change to the LBP, but for now I just wanted to see if there were any other options available to me

This is a problem because? Won't you still have 5 nuts holding the drum in place and a wheel to cover the ugly? Never said it would be Mopar perfect, just said it would work. I agree that the perfect solution would be a conversion to big bolt pattern, but what if dustadude doesn't have the bucks or inclination for new axles, front spindles,upper control arms, dust shields, rotors, caliper brackets, calipers, pads, hardware, bearings. etc., AND the aforementioned rear brakes?

This is a problem because the wheel studs do not fill the hole in the drum and therefore the drum may not be centered on the brake shoes. Even if you get it close there will be premature wear on the drum and the brake shoes as the drum runs off center. That is the reason they didn't use the same bbp 1 3/4" drum that is used on the mid 60s B bodies. Under your thoughts they would have only made one casting and drilled it for each pattern.

If dustadude has a 7 1/4" rear end all of the disc brake A-bodies from 1973 through 1976 have big bolt pattern rear ends and a 7 1/4" can usually be had pretty cheap. It also will bolt in without any modification. In 73 through 76 there was also an 8 1/4" rear end available and only the drive shaft and shock plates have to be changed to use it.

Getting bbp on the front end would be the more expensive part. Upper control arms have adapter bushings that are available from doctordiff. There is still lots of disc brake parts out there for a conversion. Right here in my town there is a set up getting ready to go to the crusher this week. I am not up to pulling them before he hauls the car off.

Here's a list of all the Mopars that use the same 10.98" rotor. You can also pull spindles and calipers off of any of these cars. Some will have pin type calipers, but if you grab everything from the spindle out you'll get the right caliper brackets. Some of them also had the 11.75" rotors from '76 to '81.

CHRYSLER CORDOBA (1975 - 1983)
CHRYSLER FIFTH AVENUE (1983 - 1989)
CHRYSLER IMPERIAL (1981 - 1983)
CHRYSLER LEBARON (1977 - 1981)
CHRYSLER NEW YORKER 1982
CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY (1978 - 1981)
DODGE ASPEN (1976 - 1980)
DODGE CHALLENGER (1973 - 1974)
DODGE CHARGER (1973 - 1976)
DODGE CORONET (1973 - 1975)
DODGE DART (1973 - 1976)
DODGE DIPLOMAT (1977 - 1989)
DODGE MIRADA (1980 - 1983)
PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA (1973 - 1974)
PLYMOUTH CARAVELLE (1978 - 1985)
PLYMOUTH CUDA (1973 - 1974)
PLYMOUTH DUSTER (1973 - 1976)
PLYMOUTH FURY 1975
PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY (1982 - 1989)
PLYMOUTH SATELLITE (1973 - 1974)
PLYMOUTH SCAMP (1973 - 1976)
PLYMOUTH VALIANT (1973 - 1976)
PLYMOUTH VOLARE (1976 - 1980)

Well, now that we've slung a whole bunch of stuff and none of it stuck, why do you need new drums for your 8 3/4"? Are the ones you got turned past the max or are rust holes showing up where the drum and bell meet? Inquiring minds want to know.

-
Back