70 Dart factory disk brakes

-

Liquidspine

Reaction score
I everyone, Im new to the forum and have a noobie question.
I want to upgrade the factory disk on my dart but everything I can find is a conversion.
Can someone please tell me what I need to do? Can I use a conversion? Is there a kit out there for factory disk cars? Im really stuck.
Thanks for all your help. Cheers

I want to upgrade the factory disk on my dart but everything I can find is a conversion.
Can someone please tell me what I need to do? Can I use a conversion? Is there a kit out there for factory disk cars? Im really stuck.

There's nothing wrong with the KH disk brakes that were available on 65-72 A-bodies. The reasons for converting these is more often to get the larger bolt pattern hub in order to have a wider selection of wheels.

Two upgrades for consideration are going to a drilled and/or slotted rotor. Both techniques improve shedding of brake dust and improved cooling from increased surface area. Drilled rotors are less structurally sound and generally fail (crack) near a drill hole.

The second upgrade is to change the friction material (brake pads). Changes to the brake pad often improve fade resistance at the expense of accelerated rotor wear. Furthermore, ceramic pads tend to need to be hot in order to work. Imagine mashing the brakes and getting very little braking action.

For a street or street/strip car, I recommend a slotted rotor and a carbon metallic set of pads.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/...428-5bfa-00001ee650fa&k_trackingid=139x250955

The 4 piston Kelsey Hayes brakes that are factory for your car is a great system. The only draw back is if you want to go to large bolt pattern but there is even a solution for that at the link below.
Using Mustang Rotors to obtain 4.5" bolt pattern on Kelsey Hayes Brakes

Thanks for the feedback. What about just replacing the stock brakes with the same thing? The ones on there are petty beat up and rusty. Is there a good factory replacement somewhere (New) or do I need to source used parts? I would prefer to get new parts as Im updating everything else under the car...Ball joints, bushings, shocks, swaybars, etc. The thing is the stock brakes have the hub attached to the rotor. Do those come apart or do I need the rotor and hub to be one piece? Thanks again for all the help.

Look at Rock auto parts every thing to rebuild kh brakes

Nothing has the hub and rotor all in one assembly. Do they come apart so I can use the hub.

Look at Rock auto parts every thing to rebuild kh brakes

Almost everything. No hubs. But I bought rotors, refurbished calipers, new studs, pads (I don't recommend them. They were Reysbestos), seals, and bearings (Timken) from Rockauto when I did mine last year. You have to press out the studs in order to remove the rotor from the hub. The studs are splined into the hub.

-
Back