70 Dart front tire question

-

69GT

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a 215-70-15 tire mounted on a 6" wide wheel will fit on the front of a 70 Dart without any rubbing issues?

It depends on the offset of your wheels. If you have '73 up bbp discs on your 70 I don't think so because the mounting flange is an addition 3/4" wider than sbp hubs.

The car has the factory 1970 small bolt disk brakes and the wheels will have 3 3/8 backspacing.

Well, I finally got my 215-70s mounted today. I put the driver side on first. It fit nicely. I had the wife turn the wheel left and right so I could watch to see if there were any clearance issues. No problems. There is about a half an inch of clearance between the front of the tire and the fender at the closest point when turning to the right. I could also stick my hand between the tire and the frame with room to spare when turning to the left. So I proceed to put the passenger side on. Completely different outcome. While there is similar clearance between the tire and the frame, the front of the tire catches the fender quite a bit. It doesn't just brush it. It catches it by about a half an inch and actually will push the fender inward when turning the wheel to the left. I tried adjusting the bottom of the fender with the support rod that runs from the frame to the fender but it doesn't help. I don't understand how the car can be that much off from one side to the other. I'm not sure what I am going to do now. I don't know if I can trim the fender enough to clear the tire without messing up the fender. I may end up having to get smaller diameter tires but I really don't want to as I like the look of the 215s. Has anyone else ever had a problem where the tire on one side fit fine and the other side didn't?

215/70-15 is a tiny bit big at 27" tall compared to a more stock size like 205/70-14 which would be 25.5" tall, on 15" rims I would recommend using 215/65-15 which are 26" tall

That's the size I was thinking of going with if I end up with different tires. I would think an inch smaller in diameter should fit without any problems.

So how did you com eout on your tire issue? I have the exact same thing with my 70 Dart. I have rally wheels 14x5.5 and I am told the widest tire I can use is a 205-70-14. After reading your post, it sounds like that is correct?

I ended up going with the 205-70s. So far I haven't had any problems and they look good.

-
Back