71 Demon wheel size/backspacing

-

choppintime

Reaction score
Guys, restoring my 71 Demon and I want aftermarket wheels. REally want a set of older slots.

The car is a 340 car with the original 8 3/4. Wondering what wheel width and backspacing I'll need to clear everything. I've found a 15" set of slots that are 8.5" wide. Backspacing is 3 3/8" on them. Will this clear? I've only seen slots at the most being 3 7/8" backspacing, will that work?

Also, plan on putting Good Year Polyglas on the slots. Wondering what size tire will/won't fit.

Thanks in advance !!

That's not very much backspace for an 8.5" rim. I put a set of 17x9's on the back of my Duster, and used a 4.75" backspace. I was pretty close to centered with that set up. I think 3 3/8" on an 8.5" rim would stick out of the quarters with any decent width tire

To the inside on a dart, with offset shackles, 4.5 or 4.75 is ideal on an 8" rim. The variable is to the outside as the quarters are a little different between the 2 cars.

Best advise is to get out that straight edge and see........

Total clearence
Clearence to springs (which is the first thing you'll hit)
Clearence to inside quarter lip

Decide what clearence you can live with. I'd like to see 3/4" in each side when it's all said and done. Less than that and you might have some occasional scrubbing.

8 inch wheels with 4.5 BS 275-60x15 good years

Attachments

• b33[1].jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 150
  • b39[1].jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 199
  • b48[1].jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN1284.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 142
-
Back