71 scamp 318 What to do????

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I got to spend a majority of the weekend tearing down my Scamp to repair some leaks and a new coat of paint. Well the Tranny was leaking like a siv, and before I pulled the engine I did a compression test on it because I know its burning oil bad! Well lets just say I was all over the board on each cylinder and it needs to be rebuilt!

Here is my dilemma, my brother has a mildly built 383 about 400 hp and a 727 with reverse manual valve body that he pulled from one of his drag cars. He said I can have the engine and tranny. Now Im already taking out the power steering and converting it to manual brakes so do I just go a step further and put this set up in the car or do I spend the money and rebuild the 318?

The reason I debate so bad is because I already have a brand new TCI 727 tranny, a great set of TTI headers and full stainless dynamax exhaust that was on the car. Im just in debate on what its going to cost to swap to the big block. I know I need headers and partial exhaust, msd ignition box. On the plus side the engine has a msd billet distributor, electric water pump and I have a aluminum radiator.

Give me your thoughts on what you would do if you had this option.

-
Back