'72 Duster wheel issue HELP!!!!!

-

Eat My Dust-er

Reaction score
I bought a set of Cragar s/s wheels with the small bolt pattern for my Duster but when I put them on I found that they are not hub piloted. The center hole of the wheels don't set on the round center hub of the drums. Am I in for trouble if I just put them on using the wheels nuts? The wheel nuts go through the wheel and fit snug but I'm afraid of the ever so small wheel studs busting and loosing a wheel. WHY would Cragar make a wheel this way when it's made specifically for the A bodies? Any advice???

IMO, I dont think you'll have a problem. The taper on the lugs should center the wheel. Use a 1-3-5-2-4 pattern when tightening them. Using a torque wrench on them isnt a bad idea either.

Hey before CNC machines and the ever evolving tech. almost all wheel manufactures made the center hole larger. I wouldn't fret it. I made to 52 years and never a mishap.

Don't worry about it. The nuts are a snug enough fit OD wise to the holes in the wheels that the wheel will run true and yes use a torque wrench and after a few days of driving recheck them. Mine are the 5 x 4" also and I've had no problems.

Terry

P6020033 (Small).JPG

Thanks for the vote of confidence, :thumbup: I feel better knowing that everyone else's is like that too. I'm just worried about the small size of the wheel stud.

Don't worry about the size of the wheel stud. GM (A-bodies) use 7/16 studs on their big block cars like the Chevelles, Gran Sports, GTO's etc without a failure. I know this from first hand because before I was a Mopar guy I ran Buick Stage 1's.

Also semi trucks use both style wheels, some are hub piloted and some are stud piloted and they carry a much bigger load than our A-bodies so don't sweat it.

Chuck

-
Back