727 -> 904

-
Im running a 904 in my car and very happy with how it performs on the strip and street. I never ran a 727, so I cant comment on them.

I have a 904 with the low set of gears and a manual valve body and its holding up. My trans guy said a manual valve body is the way to go with a 904 cause with the kickdown likage the trans is only going to be at max holding power at wide open. But a good small bock still puts out great power 1/2-3/4 throttle. With the manual valve body its holding power is the same no matter how much throttle you give it. Now he did have to tame it down a little so it does not slam shift aroung town, but it does chrip the tires on the shifts. He also told me is a good idea to back the throttle off half way then shift and then floor it again. I think he could had made it shift a little harder but hey I have no problems with the cops so thats is good news to me. Think I would have if I would have set up the shifts.

Well, my local guy is building my 904 for me. He does all his own stuff, and HIS 904 that HE built is holding up fine in his 10 second smallblock drag car. That's WAY faster/more powerful than my car will EVER be.

He is fully confident that the 904 he builds will stand up to anything my little 360 can throw at it.

66dartman said:
Interesting. When I was first building my car and planning to use a 727 behind my 360, all I heard was "don't use the 727, use the 904, it will be better all the way around".
I had never had any luck with 904's holding up on the street, but I went ahead and got a core and built the 904. I still have my small block 727 core, the 904 is holding up okay for now, but if it goes the 727 is going in there.

After 4 904s I would have to say :blackeye: I like dependable

sheets55 said:
After 4 904s I would have to say :blackeye: I like dependable

I would have to say, you need to find someone who knows how to build transmissions :thumbup:

I switched years ago from a 904 to a 727 because I was told the 904 wouldn't take the abuse. The 904 leaked a lot, so I needed to rebuild a tranny anyhow. So I went with the 727. The car went from being able to do burnouts with my stock little 318 and 2.76 gears, to not being able to get out of it's own way. Now, I'm putting that same 727 back in the car in a couple of weeks after I finish my engine (since it only has about 1K miles on it), but you can bet when I get the extra cash to rebuild the 904, it's going in the car ASAP.

-
Back