727 Torque Converter and Flex Plate Questions

-

msmrinc

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm about to slip my Gen III 5.7 Hemi into my 1967 Plymouth Barracuda, bolting up a 727 Small Block TorqueFlite, and have a couple questions about flexplates, spacers and torque converters (still need to buy a torque converter too).

First, I've read different advice on many internet posts about needing a spacer and flexplate solution, like those from Bouchillon or XV Motorsports, to bolt a 727 to a 5.7 Hemi. Then I've read about guys using the stock 5.7 Flexplate, removing the ring gear, elongating some bolt hole and going stock, and lastly about guys using the Mopar Performance Flexplate for this application and it all bolts together quite nicely. What to do???

I've found a couple sources online for the Mopar Performance flexplate, P/N P5155427 for the 5/16" torque converters, and P/N P5153753 for the 7/16" torque converters.

Well, needless to say, I'm confused at this point. Do I need a spacer? Don't I need a spacer? Ring gear on the flexplate or on the torque converter? What starter to use? 5/16" or 7/16" torque converter?

I just wanna simply bolt this 727 to my 5.7 with minimal hassles, have it work, and enjoy my ride. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Arthur

-
Back