74 dart sport

-

74ddsport

Reaction score
I had a small water leak from the front windshield of the car and after a few times it seems that the fuse box got damaged. It was one of those things I just kept postponing and now it is here to bite me in the a$$.

The question is do you think it would be easier just to find a harness and replace it entirely or fix the wires that got damaged. One of the plugs in the harness got damaged because it has bad burnt marks on it.

I would be more suspect of something else wrong if you have burnt/melted wires. What do the wires go to?

I would be more suspect of something else wrong if you have burnt/melted wires. What do the wires go to?

The fuse box got damaged which was my main concern. I fixed some of the wires and everything so far works but im wondering if it would be a smarter move to swap it out with a NON damaged harness. Dont want the car to burn, haha.

just an observation on my 73. i have a leak as well, and it doesnt even come close to my fuse box. it would seem to me i would have to literally shoot water in there to get mine wet. i would agree with Badsport that something other than water caused a problem. if it looks that bad, i might just get another harness or take my old one and go through it.

That's kinda what I'm thinking, the fuse box "could" have been damaged from a short of some kind, before the fuse popped.

I would look a little further if it were me.

Thanks guys. I think it would be better if i either remove the existing harness and go through it or just find a replacement and call it a day. Is it that complex to swap it out? Any tips to make this swap easier?

Thanks guys. I think it would be better if i either remove the existing harness and go through it or just find a replacement and call it a day. Is it that complex to swap it out? Any tips to make this swap easier?

a service manual is good to have. i have my dash completely apart right now and it is a much easier deal with the steering column out of the way and everything out of the dash including the glove box liner. you could use tape and a pen to mark and correspond the connectors and wires with thier points of origin.

a service manual is good to have. i have my dash completely apart right now and it is a much easier deal with the steering column out of the way and everything out of the dash including the glove box liner. you could use tape and a pen to mark and correspond the connectors and wires with thier points of origin.

I bought a wiring diagram a while ago that actually helped me fix the wires that got damaged. Maybe i will look it over but i still think my future goal would be to remove it and look it over on the bench or just replace it.

thanks guys this site is awesome!!

I bought a wiring diagram a while ago that actually helped me fix the wires that got damaged. Maybe i will look it over but i still think my future goal would be to remove it and look it over on the bench or just replace it.

thanks guys this site is awesome!!

you want to pay close attention to the bulkhead connectors, these are very prone to failure over the years and like to corrode. i have already bypassed mine and added a volt gauge. it is the best thing ive done thus far.

Attachments

• diagram6.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 91
-
Back