74 hood release cutomization.

-

74dart

Reaction score
I am thinking of changing my hood release on my 74 dart swinger to an indoor hood release with the cable instead of the release above the grill from the outside, like special editions and older swingers have. Is there a lot of customizations that I need to do? or will it be pretty easy to change.

Inside hood release was optional. You need the cable with handle and mount bracket, and the latch mechanism itself, from a '73-'76 Dart (any model) so equipped. Valiant/Duster latch is different, but cable is same.

so is the outside hood release easy to take off? and is it part of the latch mechanism? I have everything for the customization, I just am not sure on how long it should take and if it would work, its from a 74 dart with the inside hood release to a 74 dart with the outside hood release.

so is the outside hood release easy to take off?

Yup, few bolts will have it right off in your hand. Same few bolts will attach the one equipped for the cable release.

and is it part of the latch mechanism?

Yep.

I just am not sure on how long it should take

To swap the latch? Perhaps five minutes; ten if you work slowly. To install the cable, perhaps another half hour working carefully.

well thank you, when I complete it Ill make sure to put up a picture of the final complete project.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

74Dart,
When I get home I will send you a picture of my inside hood release latch.
The cable attaches to the bottom of the little arm on the latch mechanism.

I got one from a 75 Valiant 4 dr. Used the latch and cable on the Duster.
They're right the Only difference is the latch. Because of the way the cable
go's on.

74Dart,
Here is how it is. The cable attachs on the top, not the bottom as I incorrectly remembered.

1-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

The cable comes thru the firewall at the corner.

3-1.jpg

Mine looks a bit different but I'm sure it will swap in just the same, I remember pulling it out and it was routed the same, the only difference is where the end of my hood release cable connects to the latch mechanism.

Does anyone know if the coolant radiator for the A/C would get in the way of that? I don't think it will but my dad thinks otherwise, I'm starting it along with a couple more projects on my vacation in the next couple days.

-
Back