76 Dart Front Big Bolt Pattern Disc Brakes on my 66 Valiant??

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I know that the front brakes are interchangeable throughout the years but I'm wanting to know if the front discs from a 76 Dart will bolt into my 66 Valiant??
I went to the junk yard yesterday and they had just gotten a 76 4door Dart in that hadn't been touched yet. I scored on the brakes!! I removed the spindles, rotors, dust shields, caliper brackets and calipers. All in pretty good condition. Big bolt pattern stuff too!

Hoping they will fit my Valiant but unsure of what years fit what.

I'm going to clean them up and repaint everything, put new bearings and get new ball joints, and have the rotors cleaned up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

You need the upper control arms off the '76. They'll bolt onto your '66 car and accommodate the '76 knuckles. You can keep the '66 lower arms, but probably best to go ahead and get the uppers and lowers out of the '76, go through them with new bushings and ball joints, and install them on your '66. Go back to the yard and get the power brake booster and brackets, the master cylinder, and the combination valve/distribution block. You might not want to use the booster (in which case sell it w/brackets to someone on here who wants it) and if the master isn't nice and fresh you might want to leave it behind and buy new. Be advised these '73-up disc brakes have a larger wheel bolt circle than is presently on your '66: 4&189;" versus 4". So you'll need to swap on some appropriate wheels. They need to be at least 14" diameter; 13" wheels will not clear the disc brakes.

You most definitely will want the lower control arms from the 76 if they have the sway bar tabs. While the '76 sway bar will not fit the '66, you can use a bar designed for the factory mounts for a 64-72 A-body.

All of the aftermarket sway bar mounts I have seen use flimsy tabs that are attached by the lower shock bolt. Furthermore, I've seen problems with aftermarket bars and 73 & > calipers interfering with each other.

You may also want the rear axle so you don't have to have two spares. Put the emergency brake cable from your car into the '76 rear brakes. There's no other conversion needed.

-
Back