79 440 in a 67 dart?

-

JohnnyDart273

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get my hands on a 1979 440 from a friend for $200, its a complete running engine but if I get it I plan to go through and rebuild it anyway. But on to the point I was wondering if there are any drawbacks to a later model motor like this one when compared against earlier years? My 1967 dart came with a 273 and I just wanted more power I plan on it being a driver with it making the occasional trip to the drag track to play so anytips would also be appreciated for this build. Ive only dealt with small blocks up to this point so if you couldnt tell Im pretty new to a big block lol. Thanks in advance.

Honestly, a 79' 440 is a big smog motor, low compression no power (earlier 440's had forged goodies too). That 273 ya got probably isn't too much less power than the 440 (although the torque would be higher). It's alot of work in the front end meaning suspension upgrades, different motor mounts, expensive headers etc...This is the thread i posted because i have a "similar" predicament so maybe read through and see what some guys said, i'm still on the fence haha
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=173392

I believe they only made the 440 until 78? Also it may be a carry over from left over production possibly. The later 440's were cast crank engines as well as the pistons being pretty far down in the hole.. lower compression motors. I just installed a 440 in my 67 this summer. You will be limited on header options, a-body hp manifolds are hard to find and expensive, you can use some other styles but they need to be machined. I went with Schumacher headers and they fit great... but expensive.... or you can use fender well's... but you have to cut up the engine bay. Motor mounts can be had from Trans Dapt for pretty cheap... they are the same as Schumacher mounts at half the price.

I believe they only made the 440 until 78? Also it may be a carry over from left over production possibly. The later 440's were cast crank engines as well as the pistons being pretty far down in the hole.. lower compression motors. I just installed a 440 in my 67 this summer. You will be limited on header options, a-body hp manifolds are hard to find and expensive, you can use some other styles but they need to be machined. I went with Schumacher headers and they fit great... but expensive.... or you can use fender well's... but you have to cut up the engine bay. Motor mounts can be had from Trans Dapt for pretty cheap... they are the same as Schumacher mounts at half the price.

I believe they made 440's in 79 but they only came in motor homes. Have you ever taken your car to the strip? And do you have any numbers on what kind of power and torque its making? Im just worried about getting a motor that even if I build it that its not going to make any power.

The car isn't done yet so I have not even driven it yet... long way to go. My 440 is a forged crank 70 block.... 10:1 with a Mopar 509 cam... no idea on the power to be honest... I would guess in the 425 range? You can build a 440 to build plenty of power.. just like anything else... you need $$$$$ :)

Attachments

• 0921111812.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 279
I believe they made 440's in 79 but they only came in motor homes. Have you ever taken your car to the strip? And do you have any numbers on what kind of power and torque its making? Im just worried about getting a motor that even if I build it that its not going to make any power.

I installed a 440 in my 71 scamp, pump gas motor with 10.1 compression. Edlebrock RPM package. Makes 500 HP on the dyno with 535 FT torque with the Shumacher headers. Runs 12 flats with the mufflers on. Hope this helps you out.

Attachments

• Scamp9.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 229
I have the opportunity to get my hands on a 1979 440 from a friend for $200, its a complete running engine but if I get it I plan to go through and rebuild it anyway. But on to the point I was wondering if there are any drawbacks to a later model motor like this one when compared against earlier years? My 1967 dart came with a 273 and I just wanted more power I plan on it being a driver with it making the occasional trip to the drag track to play so anytips would also be appreciated for this build. Ive only dealt with small blocks up to this point so if you couldnt tell Im pretty new to a big block lol. Thanks in advance.

It being a low compression motor is a moot point because he says he is going to REBUILD it .

The only drawback is the cast crank and the open chamber heads , assuming it doesn't have the oddball motorhome heads on it . A cast crank is good for 550HP so unless your goal is more that's not a real issue either .

If you BUY a KIT to rebuild ask for a kit for a 70 or 71 440HP otherwise you get the same low compression pistons you are changing out now .

i'm using the transdepot motor mounts my engine isn't sittin in there right.i'm using the schumaker headers the pittman arm hits the flange.what did u do get the engine sitting right with the transdepot motor mounts? i can send u some pic of how my motor mounts are installed. send a pic of how your mounts is install. so i can the figure the problem i have. let me thanks.

-
Back