8.25 Carrier / Gear Interchange..??

-

Cruzin

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking for an 8.25 carrier and gears for my housing I'm building for my duster and I need to know if this will fit. I have read through some posts, but I don't clearly have a definitive answer.
The rear-end I am working on was in a 1970 dart, but I don't know the original car it came out of other than it's a an A-body rear-end. It's an 8.25 -27 spline open carrier . My carrier has the 10 bolt rear housing cover to remove the carrier from the back of the housing. I dont' have the axles anymore , as they needed replacing. But, they were 27 spline.

This housing that's for sale came out of a late 80's van from what the guy told me. Thanks for any help. I appreciate it. Just don't want to buy something that's not right for my application.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16120039986...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Just found this quote on the www. Hope it gets you further.
Cheers. Gaz

Built by the Dana Corporation, the housing is cast iron with tubular steel axle tubes pressed and welded in to form a complete carrier and tube assembly. The gear assembly is accessed by removing an inspection cover having 10 bolts. 8.25" axles use either the "7260" or "7290" style U-joints. All 8.25" rears had 3" axle tubes with large bolt pattern (5 X 4.5" bolt circle) axles. Units with a 2.45:1 gear ratio have a special case that will not accept any other gear ratio. The axles are retained by a c-clip on either side. All axles were 27 spline until 1997 when they were upgraded to 29 spline.

Well the gears in this rear-end are 14 (pinion) and 45 (ring). That calculates to a 3.21 gear. That would lead me to believe it's "Not" a small case 8.25 from what I gather. It is 27 spline as I mentioned and the old axles are 5 x 4.5 pattern. The Ring gear has these stampings on it : 4-73 285 2938 3.2. I am "Assuming" the 3.2 represents a 3.21 gear ratio. With that being said, I should be able to look for quite a variety of carriers and gears to drop in this housing.
I appreciate the replies.
I have read there are alot of options for this rear housing. Just looking for some people who have used alternate vehicle carrier setups in their 8.25 housings.

The 8.25 rear had two different size carrier bearings over the years, pre '75 they use the smaller sized bearings and '75-96 uses the large bearing (don't know the exact size offhand), the carriers are interchangeable as long as you use the correct bearings and is the right spline. In '97 the spline count went from 27 to 29. If your going to swap carriers at least put a sure grip in it and if you already have 3.21's it's not worth the hassle to put in 3.55's you'll barely notice the difference.

Thanks Daliant. Yeah...their 3.21's so I probably wouldn't notice. It ain't like it going on the strip. Just a weekend cruiser and neighborhood raiser. I'll have to mic the bearing size when ordering a rebuild kit.

Just found this quote on the www. Hope it gets you further.
Cheers. Gaz

Built by the Dana Corporation, the housing is cast iron with tubular steel axle tubes pressed and welded in to form a complete carrier and tube assembly. The gear assembly is accessed by removing an inspection cover having 10 bolts. 8.25" axles use either the "7260" or "7290" style U-joints. All 8.25" rears had 3" axle tubes with large bolt pattern (5 X 4.5" bolt circle) axles. Units with a 2.45:1 gear ratio have a special case that will not accept any other gear ratio. The axles are retained by a c-clip on either side. All axles were 27 spline until 1997 when they were upgraded to 29 spline.

I think It's just the carrier that's different, I called Dr diff about swapping my 2:45 to 3:55. I have a sure grip with 3:55s from a '78 power wagon. He said all I needed was a kit from him to swap it into my housing.

-
Back