8 3/4 carrier bearing preload

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
all i can find is
"i tighten the carrier adjusters as tight as i can with a 12" tool, and have never seen a bearing fail due to too much preload"

to me, that is the wrong answer and i will not accept it.....
there must be a spec or something.....

being a ford guy, with a 9", at least i can "with the weight of the carrier/ring gear against the pinion (turned sideways so the driver's side carrier bearing is up), adjust the driver's side adjuster until it is snug against the bearing race. then, tighten the passenger side until it is snug. tighten the passenger side until .020" spread is achieved. check backlash. if correct, you're done. if not, loosen slightly one side, and tighten the other in the same amount until proper backlash @ .020" case-spread is achieved"

is there nothing like this for a 8 3/4????

me being me, i HAVE to have more technical info that what i have found.....will not proceed otherwise

is there not a shop manual or something for this??????????

I do the 8 3/4 the same as the other Mopar rears except the Dana's.

Torque the bearing cap bolts to 10 ft/lbs. Move the carrier all the way into the pinion gear until there is no backlash but no binding by loosening the right side adjuster a little and tightening the left side a little. Rotate the pinion repeatedly while doing this to insure the bearings are not binding.

When you have achieved zero backlash with no binding tighten the right side adjuster until you get the desired backlash usually I strive for .006-.008. At this point you may need to move the adjusters slightly to get the locks in then torque the bearing caps. You have now set the backlash AND the carrier bearing preload in one easy step.

-
Back