8 3/4" rear axle, different vent positions?

-

Nidhögg

Reaction score
Hi,
I´m currently restoring my 1968 Dodge Dart GT, with a new engine and transmission (273 -> ´71 340 and 904 -> 727), and I am also going to change the original 7 1/4" rear axle to a 8 3/4" from a 1967 Valiant. It had a 273 Commando, and should be the original axle for it as far as I know.
Anyway, I ordered a "Complete Brake Line Kit" in stainless for the Dart, but when I got the parts the rear axle lines were wrong.
The kit I ordered said it would fit "1968-69 Dodge Dart / GT", not Valiant, but before I ordered it I looked at a 2 piece rear axle kit, and it said that it would fit "1967-1969 Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth A Body - Barracuda, Dart, Duster, Valiant", so, I figured it would work ok with the complete kit... Well, it didnt.

Apparently the vent can be two different locations? I have since I got the kit looked at 8 3/4" rear axles on google, and it seems that they come with the vent on different places.
However, I cant find why they are different? Is it because of year, engine options, body size, different sub-models?
I will probably have to order a new rear axle kit, since it said on the box to report missing or damaged part within 10 days, and they have been sitting in a container for 2 months (US -> Sweden). I have contacted the seller about if I got the wrong kit or not, but havent recieved a reply. I dont really care about the money (not that much to get a rear axle kit), I just want to be sure I get the correct parts on the next order. Why didnt it fit, and how do I know what I should order?

Pictures:

How my rear axle looks:
DSC04463.jpg

The brake lines I should have:
YRA7001R.JPG

The kit I got:
YRA6702S.JPG

A rear axle the kit should fit on:
dscn2127-pg.40612

How it looks on my rear axle:
Hnwsg7cl.jpg

How it should look (minus the brake discs):
Kurts_Charger_174b.jpg

Before the 1970 model year, the splitter block was located up on the hump of the center section a bit! In 1970, it was moved down the drivers side tube a bit! This will also play havoc when you have the wrong unit as the rubber flex line from the body to the axle will not be long enough on a 70 and later car when using a 69 and earlier housing, and vise versa! Ask me how I know... I used a housing from a Duster in my 66 Cuda!! The mounting location of the body bracket moved with the splitter block!!

I've been soaking up everything I can regarding the changeout to an 8-3/4" rear end, but I haven't seen anything about the splitter tee connection. My car is a 67 notchback with a 7-1/4 read end and I will be putting in an 8-3/4" (with drums) from a 72 Dart.

Do I need to get a new flex hose to connect from the existing brake line to the splitter block? If so, maybe a model number and where to get it.

Hi,
I´m currently restoring my 1968 Dodge Dart GT, with a new engine and transmission (273 -> ´71 340 and 904 -> 727), and I am also going to change the original 7 1/4" rear axle to a 8 3/4" from a 1967 Valiant. It had a 273 Commando, and should be the original axle for it as far as I know.
Anyway, I ordered a "Complete Brake Line Kit" in stainless for the Dart, but when I got the parts the rear axle lines were wrong.
The kit I ordered said it would fit "1968-69 Dodge Dart / GT", not Valiant, but before I ordered it I looked at a 2 piece rear axle kit, and it said that it would fit "1967-1969 Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth A Body - Barracuda, Dart, Duster, Valiant", so, I figured it would work ok with the complete kit... Well, it didnt.

Apparently the vent can be two different locations? I have since I got the kit looked at 8 3/4" rear axles on google, and it seems that they come with the vent on different places.
However, I cant find why they are different? Is it because of year, engine options, body size, different sub-models?
I will probably have to order a new rear axle kit, since it said on the box to report missing or damaged part within 10 days, and they have been sitting in a container for 2 months (US -> Sweden). I have contacted the seller about if I got the wrong kit or not, but havent recieved a reply. I dont really care about the money (not that much to get a rear axle kit), I just want to be sure I get the correct parts on the next order. Why didnt it fit, and how do I know what I should order?

Pictures:

How my rear axle looks:
DSC04463.jpg

The brake lines I should have:
YRA7001R.jpg

The kit I got:
YRA6702S.jpg

A rear axle the kit should fit on:
dscn2127-pg.jpg

How it looks on my rear axle:
Hnwsg7cl.jpg

How it should look (minus the brake discs):
Kurts_Charger_174b.jpg
Is this the axle you put under the Dart, I am experiencing the same problem with brake lines, I have a later model axle 70 and newer and the original brake lines do not work if i may what brake lines did you use on this axle pictured above

I too have a 8 3/4 with the vent bolt on the pass side. My 7 1/4 is on the driver side. My salvage 8 3/4 has the vent with the metal piece from the original hose(hose is gone) I suppose the vent could stay where it is, weld a 3/8 or 1/2 bolt on the driver side. Install the hose over the bolt/add a lock nut. Run your lines. Or drill a hole, tap to 1/8 npt I think,move the vent and then plug the original hole with a pipe plug.Thoughts?????

Passenger side?

I’m not aware of an 8 3/4 that had a passenger side vent. The two variations were on the drivers side of the pumpkin and then further down on the tube, but both of those locations are on the drivers side.

The housing I have came from a 72 B200. Definitely on the passenger side.

Is this the axle you put under the Dart, I am experiencing the same problem with brake lines, I have a later model axle 70 and newer and the original brake lines do not work if i may what brake lines did you use on this axle pictured above
Not sure if it helps you but this one and my other extra are the same, as the one under my 1973 Dart when I swapped out the 8 1/4.
I went a snapped a pic of easier one to get to in the shed (i did not want to crawl under the car)
All 3 are I have are the same.
This one came out a Dart 340 4 speed car and had 391s in it car looked Orginal but wrecked. It is on the driver side

20230909_185700.jpg

Yea, my housing has that hole on the opposite end. I think leaving the vent on the right side is the best way. Tack a 3/8 bolt facing up on the left side and then put the hose block on the bolt with a lock nylock. Or I could rig the brake lines, mount the brake hose to the right side,etc Seems like more work. Or just drill and tap ( i'm not sure of the exact thread of the vent bolt 3/8 npt?) on the left side and then plug the other side. Seems like more work.

Yea, my housing has that hole on the opposite end. I think leaving the vent on the right side is the best way. Tack a 3/8 bolt facing up on the left side and then put the hose block on the bolt with a lock nylock. Or I could rig the brake lines, mount the brake hose to the right side,etc Seems like more work. Or just drill and tap ( i'm not sure of the exact thread of the vent bolt 3/8 npt?) on the left side and then plug the other side. Seems like more work.

I’d drill and tap the housing on the drivers side. Much easier.

What car is this ‘72 B200 axle in? I’m assuming you shortened it if it’s going in an A-body of any kind. If you shorten it to match a car spec (A or even B body) then you could put the vent in the same place as the car housing and just buy stock reproduction lines and hoses for whatever housing spec you use…

-
Back