833 id ??

-

SSing

Reaction score
Hi,
I need help to ID this transmission. I don´t have any information on it other than this #:s sent to me...
Thank you in advance.
Stefan

Attachments

• 833 044.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 833 030.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 221
  • 833 031.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 235
Hej
That is a late 1970 date code, IE a 1971 build. The vin code / factory id is missing, so little else to know by the numbers.

The numbers really don't tell you much, but maybe this bit of info will help.

In reference to the first picture...

1. The "PP" stands for New Process (the manufacturer).
  2. The next 3 digits, 833, tell you that it's an 833 model transmission.
  3. The numbers after that are the date in Chysler's 10,000 day calendar.

To decode the deate you can go to the following website:

http://maxwedge.com/articles/10k.php

Note: Saturday July 29th, 1961 is Day One.

I believe, the numbers after the date are part of the VIN of the car the transmission was originally in.

The numbers on the other parts of the transmission are just casting numbers that from I have read in my research, really don't tell you much.

Also, the side cover can tell you a bit about the transmission too since there are two different types. The tail length can tell you if it's for an A-Body for B/E-Body.

The B/E body's are longer. Some have two shifter mounting positions, one for B-Body and one for E-Body.

I hope this helps.

from the 99126 tail shaft housing it should be A body 69-71

thank You...
Yes correct. It´s actually a 18 spline A-Body trans. And the fact it has no vin # make it interesting to my SS/B recreation project.
Tran also has the Slick Shift modifications done to it, but seem to never have been used after that.

Question:
What race cars other than the SS/A and Pro Stock A-Body cars did use 18 spline 833:s in 1970. I mean could any 4-speed A-Body car have the 23 spline swapped to a stronger 18 spline? Did NHRA for example aloud for that??
Also, but no a possibility in this case, since this transmission is date coded November 12 1970, (thanks JoesEdge) did the ´68 SS factory cars have the vin number stamped in the transmission? I guess Yes... ;)

Is it possibly an over the counter back up trans to a SS or a Pro Stock race team? Can you pleas elaborate on that?... :)

Well what ever the history is on this transmission, it is a piece of gold to me, whether it was a back up transmission to Ronnie Sox or not :)

Not the best of back ground, no... Sorry about that...

Attachments

• 4-speed 009.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 159
18 spline is a whole gears set change. 440 or Hemi, probably parts counter for someone who wanted the best. Looks like a small bearing retainer also. Too late for 68 Super Stock. May be a back up???

The numbers after the date are the number of transmissions assembled that day in this case 0036 is the 36th assembled at the PP new process. Normally there are another set of numbers above these and those are the vin identifiers. This could have been, and probably is, a warranty case as it was never stamped with vin.

PP = New process plant
833 = Transmission type
3394 = Day 3394 is Thursday, November 12, 1970 (1971 model year of assembly)
0036 = 36th transmission assembled to yours

c-99129 - typical case number, the throwout bearing retainer number will give front bearing size. This could be small 307 or large 308 front bearing.
c-99126 = 1969-71 A-body transmissions w/30 spline output shaft and 307 bearing.

I believe, the numbers after the date are part of the VIN of the car the transmission was originally in.

Oh wow, I just realized that's an 18 spline and A-Body?!?!?. Nice! That is a piece of gold right there!!

I don't believe I have ever seen a small bearing 18 spline 833.
Chances are good its the large bearing. A-body main shaft, b-body main case, A-body tail case.
This is just a guess though Stefan. Nice find.

-
Back