833+magnum?

-

PeaceNGrease

Mopar Fanatic
Reaction score
May be a dumb question?
But I have a 69 dart (2dr) and it's orig a 6cyl 3spd on the tree and I just picked up a complete (-trans and t-case which they're for a 4x4 anyway) 99 ram 1500 sport.
I'd like to run an 833 4spd but will that trans bolt-up to a 5.9 magnum and which flywheel?
(Or do I have to run a newer manual trans?)
I know if I was running a 727 I could just elongate a flexplate bolt hole and I also know to run a newer trans I'll need to modify the trans cross member.

Planning on a complete swap with everything into my 69 dart.
Thanks for any info guys!

Excellent info and read guys, thanks, exactly the info I'm looking for!

Idaho my dart is a manual trans 3spd on the column so I've already got pedals so I'm good there I think (?)

acpat I'm bout 45mins from Topeka so id love to take a look at your valiant (I really like the 67-71 valiants).
Shoot me a pm on your 4spd!

I'd like to run the magnum EFI so I'd have to either cut/grind the bell for crank trigger.

I machined the balancer and made a bracket on my 360 Magnum to allow me to use the transmission I wanted. There are 8 holes/grooves/windows 2 degrees wide that need to be made. The groove for TDC is right at 2 degrees wide on a 5.9 Magnum. The exact position for the sensor in relation to TDC escapes me right now, but the measurement involved a degree wheel and powering the sensor and monitoring the switch point with a voltmeter. For a crank sensor I used a generic hall effect sensor from Moser Electronics. The brand name was Cherry Electronics. It had a threaded barrel which used a jam nut on top and bottom to lock it in place.

Call Brewers for a flywheel. I think it's about $300. There is a bolt on weight that allows you to use a 5.9 Magnum.

Glhs0426 you make it sound easy to build your own trigger but I'm trying to picture what you're explaining and drawing a blank

If I understand correctly, he took the crank pulley and machined 8 slots in it and mounted a sensor to duplicate the flywheel signals the computer needs. Probably the best plan if you want to use the EFI with an A833 trans. Be cool to see some pictures. BTW, as I recall the first slot is 8 or 10 degrees ATDC, but don't quote me.

Running a 4 speed with EFI has provent to be very difficult. The only flywheel Mopar made with the notches for the sensor is an 143t flywheel and won't fit the car bellhousings. I know of one guy on here that had one machined down for an 130t ring gear, and he planned to do more and sell them but he dropped off the planet so I don't think he was able to get it done. I know someone else has tried to do the same thing and all the shops he talked to said they either couldn't or wouldn't. Another guy on here had a custom one machined, and I ran across one other person on a different forum that had a custom flywheel built, but pretty sure they were $400-500.

And you need more than a notch in the bell to clear the sensor, you need notches in the flywheel.

Ah I see now, thanks for the explanation Dion, I see now why it's a difficult swap with the 833

Glhs0426 you make it sound easy to build your own trigger but I'm trying to picture what you're explaining and drawing a blank

This is what I'm talking about. The rear sensor is for the crank; the front is for my transmission (you wouldn't need it). Each notch is two degrees wide, the same as the notch for the timing mark. The sensor has to be in the correct spot vs. TDC.

85Truck004.jpg

Cool! So I did miss it, you did actually put notches in the balancer. What I described would be similar, I was just envisioning the notches in the barrel of the pulley instead. Any concern that you weakened the balancer?

So you have a transmission with a controller that needed a crank sensor with different pulses than what the magnum system sends? What are you running?

Very creative solution if be interested in your set-up as well.
You machined your balancer yourself?
Any issues with engine balance by doing that?

I used a 45RFE out of a HEMI truck hooked to a 10.3:1 5.9 Magnum in my 85 D150. It's getting rewired right now with a megasquirt and megashift. It did really well for about 30,000 miles, but the lack of being able to tune the shifts, lock-up schedule, timing curve, and fuel table was more than I could deal with. Don't get me wrong, it ran awesome! The combo just had some quirks.

You can see one of the notches in the picture. There are eight notches counting the groove the factory put in there for TDC. They are spaced equally around the balancer, so, the balance is not changed appreciably.

To make the engine hook to the transmission, I had to make a flexplate. I found the stock Magnum crank sensor and the RFE starter ring gear wanted to be in the same place. A custom crank sensor had to be made.

-
Back